Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hazelnyc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2011, 11:03 AM
    5013c documents for disclosure
    Our treasurer keeps all of the church financials on her home computer. Recently, a trustee/board member asked for a category report and chart of codes account. The treasurer refused to disclose the financial information. There has not been a proper financial review in 2 years. Legally, is she allowed to deny access. Our church constitution stipulates that the finance committee answer to the trustees, board members.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 18, 2011, 11:36 AM

If the Church Constitution states the Treasurer MUST answer to the Church Trustees and Board members then she must do just that - answer questions, provide information when requested.

She has been requested to disclose the category report and chart of codes and has refused?

The she needs to be ordered to do so in writing.

I trust she's bonded - ?

Does she provide the info to the Church's accountant at income tax time?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 18, 2011, 12:01 PM

I would suggest that the board member talk with the senior warden (or whatever you call the head of the board in your church) about this. The board has a fiduciary responsibility to look after the financial health of the organization, so clearly the treasurer must provide reports and information necessary for them to do this. Perhaps the treasurer felt that this particular request for information went further than is appropriate - so perhaps it's time for an open discussion about the proper role of board members with respect to delving into the details of the organization's finances.

There is also an issue if the finances have not been seriously reviewed for 2 years. The board must establish some mechanism to ensure that constituents can have faith in the accuracy and honesty of all financial dealings. Perhaps the organization is too small for a full blown audit by an outsiude CPA, but at the very least some sort of formal review must be done each year and results documented.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 18, 2011, 12:20 PM

I will also want to add... there is a possibility something is amiss (like someone has had their hand in the till) and that's why they are refusing to open the books (this is not unknown in church finances, particularly when one person has done it alone for years with no oversight). I would push to have this reviewed by an outside accountant... and sooner rather than later.

Lets just say the hairs on my neck are bristling.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 18, 2011, 07:20 PM

Normally each month there will be a budge meeting and a statement of accounts.

There should be at least annual a independent review of all books by a certified accountant with a audit of the books.

The leaders of the church should be getting a detailed report every month

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disclosure [ 3 Answers ]

I filed my Answer in small claims court on November 20, 2010. The judge denied the plaintiff's motion for judgement on February 1, 2010. I received disclosure from the plaintiffs attorney on February 9th. What do I do now?

Disclosure statement? [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I are having house built from the ground up and had to sign a disclosure statement and in that statement it stated that the front yard landscaping and wing fencing came with the house. We went to the design studio yesterday and they said that we had to pay $3400 for the front yard...

Full disclosure [ 8 Answers ]

Okay I have the husband who has cheated for past 7 years. He insists that she not only was NOTHING to him but that he broke it off with her. I just found a journal that he was keeping that shows that he obsessively kept track of when he called her when she called him, his suspicion of HER and his...

Home disclosure [ 5 Answers ]

When I sell my home am required to disclose to the buyer that I didn't have permits for my addition or is it a don't ask don't tell kind of policy? Thanks

Full disclosure [ 5 Answers ]

Okay, I am the wife of the 7 year cheater. When confronted he said that she was NOTHING to him and that he had broke things off with her about 2 months ago. I recently found journal entries in his handwriting that chronicles his obsession with their phone calls, what she said, what he said, the...

View more questions Search