Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rockguy Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2011, 08:31 PM
    Furnace transformer blowing
    I've been doing some reading here and, I can see I'm not the only one to have this problem. When I put the next one in, I will wire in the 3amp automotive fuse I have seen referenced in several threads here.

My problem is happening when I swith the thermostat from off to heat. It first happened before this winter. As the weather started to turn, I turned the furnace on and set it a couple of degrees higher than what the house temp was. I didn't want to wait until it was frigid before I tested the furnace after sitting all summer. This turned out good because it ran for about 30 seconds then shutoff. I knew this wasn't right so I immediately went to the furnace and took the cover off. After a few seconds of looking around, the transformer popped and huffed out a puff of smoke. I ordered a new one and, had no problems all winter.

Last week the weather got quite warm and I turned the T stat to off. I was going to turn on the AC but didn't. Well it got cold again so I turned on the furnace and didn't notice until the next day that it wasn't working again. Transformer blown. I will receiver another one Wednesday the 18th.

I'm going to inspect the wiring going to the Central air unit Thursday.
    My question is... can the thermostat itself be doing it? It's an Emerson EDT-193. The furnace is a Johnstone Model MBA 100 NH4R.

Thanks for any advice.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2011, 03:34 AM

If this occurs when switching between "HEAT & "OFF", it isn't likely the air conditioner has anything to do with it. I would begin with an inspection of the thermostat and low-voltage wiring.

May 19, 2011, 07:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KC13 View Post
    If this occurs when switching between "HEAT & "OFF", it isn't likely the air conditioner has anything to do with it. I would begin with an inspection of the thermostat and low-voltage wiring.
    Thanks KC, I was thinking that too but, that is the only outside wiring that could possibly be chewed on. I have don't have any pests in the house. That's why my real suspicion is the thermostat itself. I thought I'd see if anyone else here had a thermostat cause this.

May 20, 2011, 09:23 AM

I got a new transformer. I also got a new thermostat. I installed the thermostat. I just installed the transformer with a 3 amp glass fuse rated to 250V. As soon as I threw the main switch to power the furnace, the fuse blew. This was before I even set the thermostat to call for heat.

I know this transformer has an output current of 3.7 amps. I'm thinking a 3 amp fuse isn't going to be sufficient. All I keep reading here is people using a 3 amp fuse.

Any ideas?

May 20, 2011, 09:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockguy View Post
    I got a new transformer. I also got a new thermostat. I installed the thermostat. I just installed the transformer with a 3 amp glass fuse rated to 250V. As soon as I threw the main switch to power the furnace, the fuse blew. This was before I even set the thermostat to call for heat.

I know this transformer has an output current of 3.7 amps. I'm thinking a 3 amp fuse isn't going to be sufficient. All I keep reading here is people using a 3 amp fuse.

Any ideas??
    Actually it appears it's only a 1.67amp output. I could have sworn they told me 3.7 last fall.

Here is the exact transformer datasheet. Hmmm
    TCT40-01E07K pdf, TCT40-01E07K description, TCT40-01E07K datasheets, TCT40-01E07K view ::: ALLDATASHEET :::

May 20, 2011, 05:25 PM

Well I tried another fuse and it seems to be working. The only thing I did different was switch the red wire on the thermostat to Rc from the RH. I don' think this would make any difference because they have a jumper between them anyway. I made the switch because the directions that came with the T stat had you hooking the red to Rc. I had it hooked to RH because the previous T stat was hooked up that way. I really don't see how that can matter.

It was pretty warm here today so, I didn't want to run the heat very long. It's going to cool off next week so I can test it more extensively then.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier furnace transformer keeps blowing! [ 2 Answers ]

HELP!! I've pulling me hair out!! Carrier 40aq Air Handler. Original prob was air handler lost 24 volt output. I replaced transformer with a slightly undersized one... 40va instead of the spec'd 60va... and it ran for about 10 minutes.. then blew. Now I put in a new 75va transformer... and it ran...

Another Blowing Furnace Transformer ! [ 11 Answers ]

Furnace: Carrier Downflow-Gas 58DRC, circa 1988 First symptom of problem: Blower would not shut off after heating cycle What has been done so far: Bypassed the limit switch and a fusible link to see if that was what kept the blower on. Blower stays on, so they appear OK. I then test...

Keep blowing transformer [ 1 Answers ]

I'm working on an old york furnace and condenser I replace the contactor and it blew the original transformer so I got another one and put a fuse link fro 24 volt coming in and it still blew the transformer. >Moved from Forum Help<

Transformer keeps blowing. [ 3 Answers ]

I've had issues with my ac/heating for awhile and spent several thousand having various parts repaired/replaced including the evaporator coil, blower, circuit board, compressor and transformer. We also installed a new thermostat. I explained the problem to a building maint guy at work and he said...

Transformer keeps blowing [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a Ritetemp 8050C programmable thermostat for my (electric) central air/heating system. The heating unit inside my condo is a Texfan CV-X 18-6 hp model from Chinook Industries (I have not been able to find any info online about either company, and there is no manual for this unit). I...

View more questions Search