Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmresd Posts: 2,002, Reputation: 553
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2011, 01:56 PM
    Comment on hamworld05's post
    The racist never abused his freedom of speech, in fact he exercised it. So he is within the law, however violence is not. So what you are suggesting is to do something even lower than your so-called attacker?
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2011, 01:58 PM
    Comment on excon's post
    Why would your recommendation as someone with so high reputation in this website be to break the law and hurt someone? One questions: does excon stand for ex-convict? Just wondering.
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2011, 02:00 PM
    Comment on hamworld05's post
    How about concentrating on getting some? Would that not be more pleasurable. Or are you telling me that it gives you more pleasure to rough a male up than to be kind to a female? Maybe you will receive some of the same treatment in jail after you break the law. Don't drop the soap ;)
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 18, 2011, 02:51 PM

Hamworld... he called you a name. One you don't like, but that in itself is not racism. As was pointed out, it is also one that is frequently used by blacks to other blacks. Does that make them racists too?

I know white friends who greet some of their black friends by the name, even one of their asian friends gets called it, and the black guys say it right back at them.

Be the bigger man, don't let him get a rise out of you, ignore it.
    hamworld05 Posts: 370, Reputation: 12

May 19, 2011, 01:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    You said (and I quote): The Holocaust happened because a guy made a joke about Jewish (which should be capitalized) peoples' noses and no one did anything. What is your source of this "information"? This comment about "Jewish noses," even as a joke, is ignorant.

It's your opinion that "Black" people were enslaved because they didn't defend themselves? Opinons are based on something, research, classroom teaching, voices inside their heads.

As far as "no Nation" assisting Jews during and prior to WWII - here is a partial list of countries which DID assist: China, Netherlands, Poland, Greece, France, Belgium, Denmark, Bulgaria, Portugal, Spain, Lithuania, Albania, Italy, Finland, Norway. The Holocaust "kept going" because there was a war on. It ended when the war ended and the allied forces prevailed.

You totally misunderstand the targets of the Holocaust. It wasn't just Jews nor did only Jews suffer. As far as who died in the Holocaust, it wasn’t just Jews. The Nazis attempted to annihilate political enemies, “Blacks,” the disabled, Communists, homosexuals, POWs (many of which were Soviet citizens), Poles, Romanians - gypsies, Slavs, Catholic clergy people, Protestant clergymen who didn’t agree with Nazi propaganda, Jehovah’s witnesses. Figures range and it is impossible to come up with an accurate tally but it breaks down to (approximately - and these figures are probably on the low side): Jews, 5.9 million; Soviets, 3.3 million; Poles/non Jewish, 1.9 million; Gypsies. 250,000; homosexuals, 11,000; Jehovahs Witnesses, 4,500; the disabled, 230,000.

Yes, I highjacked this thread. However, if you are going to argue facts, make sure they are correct.

Stop making childish statements and I'll stop thinking you're a child.
    What good were those nations huh?

They let the Holocaust happen! This is the fundamental reason near 6 million Jews died! This is a fact. I never said the targets were just Jews but the world let the Holocaust began and that is effectively being a bystander to Germany's hatred.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 19, 2011, 06:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hamworld05 View Post

They let the Holocaust happen! This is the fundamental reason near 6 million Jews died! This is a fact. I never said the targets were just Jews but the world let the Holocaust began and that is effectively being a bystander to Germany's hatred.

So you are sticking to your opinions that the Holocaust was caused by someone joking about Jewish noses and "Blacks" were enslaved because they didn't fight back?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 19, 2011, 06:25 AM
    "Blacks" were enslaved because they didn't fight back?
    Hello, my friend, Judy:

Just how many slaves do you think the slave traders would have brought back if they were met with serious VIOLENCE?

Do you think it's possible that the holocaust could have been prevented IF the Jews fought back from the beginning like they eventually did - but too late?

I don't know the answers to these questions. I'm just asking.

excon
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 19, 2011, 03:16 PM

I take offense to this post. I am German. My parents lived through that war, and by no means were they Nazi sympathizers, nor did they hate. To lump all of Germany into one category is very narrow minded! They did not let the Holocaust happen!

If you want the truth, ask someone that lived through it. I talked to both of my parents about World War II and they both said the same thing. For the large part Germans had no idea what was going on with the Jews. They were told that the Jews were being sent to their home land. They didn't know about the concentration camps, or all the killing. When they found out what was really going on, it was already a massacre.

This was one mans doing, and sadly people feared him so much that they were afraid to fight back. Do you know what they penalty for speaking against Hitler was? Even as a German? If you were lucky you'd be imprisoned, questioned and tortured, for months and then returned to your family. More then not you were killed. Just for saying something bad about him. My grandparents hid Jews during the war. If they had been caught they would have been tortured for months, starved, and then, if they were lucky, they'd be killed.

You know nothing about this war or what the country of Germany went through. The Jews weren't the only victims, and all of Germany wasn't evil. :(

This really pisses me off!

How dare you speak about something you know nothing about!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 19, 2011, 04:25 PM

How old are you? Your opinions about world history are wildly skewed.

First, you know very little of the slave trade. In fact, most slaves were purchased from other African tribes by the white slave traders who then brought them to the Americas. If you think that bands of slavers went into the jungles and just herded meek tribesman back to the cost and into ships, then you better do some better research.

Second, the holocaust happened because Jews were traditionally persecuted over the centuries. Hitler believed that the Aryan people were the "master race" and anyone else was inferior. Jews were not the only peoples persecuted by the Third Reich, just represented the largest bloc. Some Jews did fight back, others went meekly because they couldn't imagine that the "final solution" was real. But individual violence was generally not an option.

As to what good these countries did, lets take the example of Denmark. Of approximately 7000 Jews in Denmark, only about 250 were turned over to the Nazis. The others were hidden and gotten out of the country. Granted that's small compared to 6 million, but Denmark was an occupied country and couldn't fight Nazi Germany alone.

As to this person using the "N" word. Have you ever read Randall Kennedy's book on this word. I would suggest doing so, before you beat someone up over it.

And what do you think would happen to you? Do you think the police or your school will say 'good for you' just because he used that word?

There is also the instance of context. As Chuck pointed out, there are many instances where blacks use this word themselves. Depending on context, you might be able to report him for a hate crime. Many places have laws that could be used to prosecute him for a hate crime.

Finally, I don't see where anyone is infringing on the OP's freedom of speech. Not sure how that came into it.
    Uber Member

May 19, 2011, 04:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello, my friend, Judy:

Just how many slaves do you think the slave traders would have brought back if they were met with serious VIOLENCE?

Do you think it's possible that the holocaust could have been prevented IF the Jews fought back from the beginning like they eventually did - but too late??

I dunno the answers to these questions. I'm just askin.

excon

What kind of violence? Spears vs guns? Do you think Africans didn't "fight back?" Do you think they said, "Oh, okay, I think we'll get on the boat and be slaves?" Africans turned against other Africans because there was money in the slave trade.

As far as the Jews - they weren't ALLOWED BY LAW to own land. They, as a people, did not hold political office, had little voice, were not allowed to own firearms. Did they see the Holocaust coming too late? Sure they did. Hindsight is 20/20.

The Holocaust was WAY before the Internet, TV, the news coverage that is available today. Did anyone know what was actually going on? I'll leave it to you to research that subject.

Should the gypsies, clergymen, Polish, pick another group that the Nazis tried to eradicate have seen it coming? Why didn't they fight back? I'll leave to you to research, too.

I don't know what would have been possible or not possible. It also matters little at this point.

So am I to assume that the Holocaust was, in fact, started by a joke about someone's Jewish profile? I don't see you contradicting that statement. I find that line about the Holocaust to be flippant and insulting and I'm astonished that no one else finds it offensive.

The same person who is wondering how to handle a racial slur has no problem making a Jewish slur - and that is EXACTLY what the "Jewish nose" comment is.

This "conversation" has gone WAY beyond the OP's question. He asked how to handle someone mouthing the "n" word at him or his friends. That's been answered and talked to death. This conversation is good for a member discussion board. I fail to see that it's appropriate here.

Your friend,
    Judy

May 19, 2011, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello, my friend, Judy:

Do you think it's possible that the holocaust could have been prevented IF the Jews fought back from the beginning like they eventually did - but too late??

I dunno the answers to these questions. I'm just askin.

excon
    See my post.

May 20, 2011, 04:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    How old are you? Your opinions about world history are wildly skewed.

First, you know very little of the slave trade. In fact, most slaves were purchased from other African tribes by the white slave traders who then brought them to the Americas. If you think that bands of slavers went into the jungles and just herded meek tribesman back to the cost and into ships, then you better do some better research.

Second, the holocaust happened because Jews were traditionally persecuted over the centuries. Hitler believed that the Aryan people were the "master race" and anyone else was inferior. Jews were not the only peoples persecuted by the Third Reich, just represented the largest bloc. Some Jews did fight back, others went meekly because they couldn't imagine that the "final solution" was real. But individual violence was generally not an option.

As to what good these countries did, lets take the example of Denmark. Of approximately 7000 Jews in Denmark, only about 250 were turned over to the Nazis. The others were hidden and gotten out of the country. Granted that's small compared to 6 million, but Denmark was an occupied country and couldn't fight Nazi Germany alone.

As to this person using the "N" word. Have you ever read Randall Kennedy's book on this word. I would suggest doing so, before you beat someone up over it.

And what do you think would happen to you? Do you think the police or your school will say 'good for you' just because he used that word?

There is also the instance of context. As Chuck pointed out, there are many instances where blacks use this word themselves. Depending on context, you might be able to report him for a hate crime. many places have laws that could be used to prosecute him for a hate crime.

Finally, I don't see where anyone is infringing on the OP's freedom of speech. Not sure how that came into it.
    Okay, now you're just stereotyping us black people. 'Tis is borderline racist.

Spelling and pronunciation is a big deal. It's bad to say the n word with an "er" but for we black people we say it with an "a". What sane black person would say it with an "er"?

May 20, 2011, 05:50 AM
    Okay, now you're just stereotyping us black people. 'Tis is borderline racist.

Spelling and pronunciation is a big deal. It's bad to say the n word with an "er" but for we black people we say it with an "a". What sane black person would say it with an "er"?
    Excuse me? No I'm not sterotyping anyone. And I am no where near being a racist. I have not insulted you, there is no cause or justification for you to attempt to insult me.

I'm stating facts. You may believe that spelling it differently alters the meaning, but it doesn't, but the CONTEXT it's used in does alter it. And that's where the spelling and pronunciation do come into play. And that's why I said context matters.

I do notice, that you totally ignore the rest of my post whereby I show your view of history to be very different from the facts. I also notice you ignore my legal solution to this issue.
    Uber Member

May 20, 2011, 07:32 AM

Any questions about OP, read through his posting history.

He is apparently not going to respond to anything and will continue to attempt to insult and rant. I am somewhat surprised that he posts "we black people" but has no understanding of the history of the African slave trade.

With due respect, it's time to close. This is taking up time, going nowhere and OP's true colors are apparent.

May 20, 2011, 07:51 AM
    Any questions about OP, read through his posting history.

He is apparently not going to respond to anything and will continue to attempt to insult and rant. I am somewhat surprised that he posts "we black people" but has no understanding of the history of the African slave trade.
    From another thread:
    You know me tickle. Arrogant, self-centered and short-sighted.
    At least he knows what he is!
    Uber Member

May 20, 2011, 07:56 AM
    From another thread:

I don't know which I appreciate the most - your research skills or your comment.

- and I MISSED it! Darn!

May 20, 2011, 08:45 AM
    I'm arrogant if I refuse to be a bystander of racism? If that makes me arrogant I don't want to ever be humble.

I never said the school would congratulate me. That's a straw man. This is high school anyway. I can't charge a racist with a "hate crime" because he said the n-word.

Forget "legal solutions". The law benefits racists anyway. Forget the fact that the racist would've killed the black person a century ago or made him his slave, no. If a racist gets attacked, he gets away scot-free where the black person goes to jail.
    Uber Member

May 20, 2011, 09:17 AM

A "bystander OF racism"? What? The person accusing people of being racists is certainly showing HIS racist side. (Note he also dislikes Canadians.)

Not the first discussion where he's started in on the Holocaust and Jews in general - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...at-109671.html "I don't know: It has something to do with " Gustapo". In the past, someone asked " Where are they( Jews, German people, I can't remember!)? Someone lied. If someone told the truth, a lot of people would've died."

May 20, 2011, 10:01 AM
    I'm arrogant if I refuse to be a bystander of racism? If that makes me arrogant I don't want to ever be humble.

I never said the school would congratulate me. That's a straw man. This is high school anyway. I can't charge a racist with a "hate crime" because he said the n-word.

Forget "legal solutions". The law benefits racists anyway. Forget the fact that the racist would've killed the black person a century ago or made him his slave, no. If a racist gets attacked, he gets away scot-free where the black person goes to jail.
    Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say you were arrogant by refusing to be a bystander. In fact, I simply agreed to a general statement you made.

I don't know the laws where you are, in fact I just saw that you were Canadian, but I do know that there are hate crime laws where you certainly can charge someone with a hate crime over hate speech. Have you reported this to the school? If you haven't exhausted all your options, then you are being a bystander.

And show me any case in the last decade either in Canada or the US where a racist got away scot-free with a racist act. What does what might have happened a century ago do with today? Attitudes, social mores and laws have changed greatly in the last century. If you want proof look at the President of the US!! So please don't justify your actions or diatribes with historical events that have no bearing on today. It has already been shown that your opinions on historical events is way off base.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 20, 2011, 10:27 AM

Okay, you keep citing history, and citing it incorrectly. I have to ask. What does history have to do with what's going on in your school?

The person in question said a word. Have you ever told him that you don't like that word? Have you ever asked him to stop saying it? If not, then you're part of the problem, and the fact that you automatically want to solve this issue with violence, that says a lot about you.

No one on this site is going to tell you to beat someone up. If that's what you're looking for, then go talk to your friends, I'm sure they'll be more then happy to cheer you on.

If you want logical solutions to this, you've been given many. It's your choice to do whatever it is you are going to do, but don't expect us to cheer on violence.

I think it's more then time to close this thread. The OP doesn't want a discussion, he wants to rant about past history, and he doesn't even rant accurately.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is this racism [ 1 Answers ]

Where is the alleged "2nd box"? You people can't be English, recent immigrants? We will see about your claims, we will see... Your behaviour & attitude are a disgrace. What is your excuse for the dreadful, dreadful packaging of the used nappy box, that my fault too is it? We will see what...

Racism [ 14 Answers ]

Not sure if this is the right section. I'm half Asian and half caucasian. White mum. I grew up in a small town where I was about the only non white kid at school. And so I got the brunt of any racism. Though generally I was treated pretty well I feel "white" on the inside. I don't speak...

So it really is racism? [ 57 Answers ]

Lewis Diuguid, Kansas City Star Editorial Page columnist has it all figured out, the McCain campaign's use of the word socialism has nothing to do with Obama's plan to spread the wealth, mandatory health insurance, universal public service for children, etc. - it's a code word for black. A...

All the racism in the world [ 42 Answers ]

I have tried not to be this way but.. we have some neighbors upstairs.. they always make noise foot stompin loud mouth talking and just total freaking disrespect... today my grandmother slept here because she didn't want to be alone she doesn't feel so well.. These black people are upstairs...

Let's scream racism! [ 10 Answers ]

Everyone is in a hurry to scream "racism" these days. A man asks: "In what aisle could I find the Polish sausage?" The clerk looks at him and says, "Are you Polish?" The guy (clearly offended) says, "Well, yes I am. But let me ask you something. If I had asked for Italian sausage, would you ask...

View more questions Search