Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    confusedJ1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2011, 04:39 PM
    Back taxes for J1 scholar from India?
    Hi,
    Im a J-1 research scholar from India. I came to the US in 2007, and claimed tax treaty benefits in 2007 and 2008. Since 2009 I have been a resident for tax purposes. I have remained J-1 throughout, and never applied for immigration/green card etc. and plan to return to India this year.

I have read at several places that the tax treaty benefits are lost retroactively if a research scholar stays for more than 2 years, however I am quite confused by the tax treaty.

The technical explanation of Article 22 US-India tax treaty states that "If a professor or teacher remains in the host State for more than the specified two-year
    Period, he may be subject to tax in that State, under its law, for the entire period of his presence." Why "may"? Who is allowed exceptions?

Further the last para of Article 22, and the saving clause in Article 1 para 4(b) seems to suggest that if I have not tried to gain citizenship in the US, I am allowed treaty benefits.
    Does this mean that I may not have to pay back the treaty benefit?

Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 17, 2011, 07:24 AM
    The "may" verb in the treaty DOES cause confusion for the Indian taxpayers who fall under this retroactive tax provision, but the IRS position on this matter is clear: if you stay beyond two years, you ARE subject to the income taxes retroactive to the date of your arrival.

I recommend you come forward voluntarily and make arrangements to pay the taxes. The IRS WILL figure it out eventually and then come looking for you IN INDIA to collect the back-due taxes, PLUS penalties AND interest. Under the tax treaty, the Indian government is obligated to collect these taxes on the IRS' behalf.

If you come forward, the IRS MAY waive the penalties, which will reduce your tax liability significantly.

If you need help filing the old tax returns, email me at [email protected] or [email protected].
    Indian CPA Posts: 22, Reputation: 7

May 17, 2011, 07:52 AM

Yes, its retrospective.
    confusedJ1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2011, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the quick answers. That will be a lot of money to pay back, but I suppose I should have known and planned for it. :(

Do you think I will still need to file an amendment for 2007, since its over 3 years?

Also, apart from state taxes, is there any common deduction for J-1 nonresidents I can apply to reduce my tax for 2007 and 2008? I thought of adding moving expense for 2007 but do not have the receipt for air travel from India. :(
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 17, 2011, 08:51 AM
    Regarding the receipt, contact the airlines; they can probably dig out a receipt for you even after 4 years.

Yes, the IRS WILL go back up to ten years if taxes are owed, which is clearly the case for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes for J1 short term scholar [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm italian and I've been in the US for 6 months in 2010 as a intern in a US company with a J1 visa (short term scholar). I have a couple of questions that I hope you'll be able to answer. Including a couple of days of vacation before and after the working period, I was in the US for exactly...

J1 scholar research taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am French J1 scholar research. I arrived in 2008 (mid-year), I was exempted for the taxes of 2008 and 2009 thanks to the article 20-21 (I don't know which one applies to me) of the tax treaty between US and France. I am paid by a NIH grant. Different persons told me that I am considered...

Hi I am from india on j1 visa a research scholar at lanl. Can I get tax treaty benefi [ 1 Answers ]

I am a research scholar from india working at los alamos national lab, NM on j1 visa (non residents). My employer is taking federation as well as state tax and considering us a single with one allowance for filling these tax. Can I get the tax treaty benefit for first two year. My family (wife and...

J1-scholar from India [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a J1-scholar from India. I have signed for the exemption for tax for the Indian scholars for the first two years. However, it took time for processing and the tax was withheld from my first month salary. I got W-2 form which shows the first month salary and the tax with held. How...

Taxes on wire transfer in excess of $100K from India to US to self-any taxes? [ 2 Answers ]

My father is an Indian, acquired his green card due to the death of our mother in 2008, and is trying to wind up affairs in India... he wants to transfer his money from an Indian account to a US account. Does he need to declare his Indian income to the IRS, if yes, then above what level? If he...

View more questions Search