Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    home owner Posts: 59, Reputation: 2

Jan 26, 2007, 11:10 AM
    Satellite TV antenna
    I have satellite TV. I am getting sick and tired of their promise to ultimately provide local channels. I don't believe they will actually ever do this. I don't particularly want to install another outside antenna. It seems to be a while back I read about some kind of antenna for local channels that you actually connect to the dish connection area for this purpose. Can anyone shed any light on this. THANK YOU.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2007, 11:30 AM
    Yes. You can usually find them in a Radio Shack or electronics store. Can you install it yourself? Start researching the cost of the antenna and, if you can't install it yourself, who might be able to do this and how much would it cost in total. Radio Shack or an electronics store should be able to refer you to an installer. Or just check your local yellow pages under Electronics in the yellow pages.

I went through this a few years ago living in the boonies in NH. I think the entire cost was about $300 for equipment and installation (can't do it myself). I also remember that I was told switching between the two systems was a real pain in the butt. You had to physically do something with the television set. Don't remember what it was or if that still applies today. All I remember was that I was not about to spend another $300.

I am curious. Do you use Directv? Because they do carry the Los Angeles stations for an extra fee. Or, are you talking about cable access channels in which they run the local school and town board meetings? Satellite TV will never carry that and you would have to switch to a cable based system unless you want to check into what I laid out above. Hope this helps. All the best...
    home owner Posts: 59, Reputation: 2

Jan 26, 2007, 11:51 AM
    Thank you for your reply. Yes, I do have Direct TV--------at 2 address-------my main one in Los Angeles, and a 2nd home in Palm Springs, and that's where the problem lies. I have no problem with local channels in L.A. but in P.S. they go on and on about not having them available, etc, and I am tired of hearing it, but do not want to switch to cable.
    I am going to check into this at Radio Shack.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2007, 12:17 PM
    That is very strange that they won't allow you to purchase the LA feed in Palm Springs. I was able to buy the West coast feed here in NH. Dropped the others but I still get CBSW.
    Now that I think about it, they changed the layout of everything and finally gave me the local channels but I couldn't get my NYC (East coast) feeds. Possibly has something to do with the fee they are charged. May not cover the cost of supplying to subscribers. Whatever. All these companies are a pain the butt.

Good luck to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Power antenna repair possible? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 1997 Lexus LS400. The power antenna has stopped going up and down when the radio is turned on and off. It makes a grinding noise that eventually stops, but the antenna doesn't move. Is it possible to repair this, or must I buy another antenna? Thanks very much. Dave Kaplan

Roof antenna wire to coaxial [ 1 Answers ]

I've had it with DISH and DirectTV. I've decided to hookup my big screen HDTV ready TV to the old roof antenna. I understand the connection but I need a converter or some way to connect the heavy insolated 2-wire roof antenna to coaxial. No doubt Radio Shack has such. Anyone know the name of...

How to hookup to off air antenna [ 2 Answers ]

Not a big TV watcher, so don't sub to cable or dish... but I'd like to do better than the rabbit ears. There is an old off air antenna in the attic and I was wondering: 1) Can I just run coax up and hookup to the off air without mounting the antenna outside the house? Seems to me that its...

Antenna [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking for solution to calculate the effect of wind torque on antenna surface above telecommunication radio tower.Can anyone help me? Thanks.

View more questions Search