Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tony_chong Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2011, 09:42 PM
    Tax return of B1/B2 visa
    My wife will live in Boston for 2 months with B1/B2 visa. She want to do some shopping (clothing, footwear & bags, etc. ) in New York state and MA. How about the taxes of these 2 states and how to get taxes returning when she leave us? Thanks!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 14, 2011, 04:32 AM
    If you mean sales tax, that is not refundable.
    Indian CPA Posts: 22, Reputation: 7

May 14, 2011, 11:56 AM
    Unlike Value Added Tax (VAT) in many Countries, Sales tax imposed by States in US are not refundable.

Indian CPA
    Home - Indian CPA
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 15, 2011, 06:42 AM
    Some states DO refund the sales taxes for foreign nationals who shop. I know Texas did back in the 1980s.

Not sure if NY or MA does now, especially given the financial distress the states are currently experiencing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

B1 visa in 2009 and L1 visa in 2010 - tax return and refund? [ 1 Answers ]

I came in US first time on B1 visa (duration 05/17/2009 to 08/08/2009) Now I am in US since 07/18/2010. Does it conclude that I am a resident alien for 2010 tax filing? I have spouse, and a kid (2 years) as dependent. What will be my tax return?

E3 Visa Tax return? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I was working in the US on a j1 before changing to an E3 in June 2010. I officially started my E3 on June 16th... I'm having trouble working out my taxes, and was hoping someone might help? Do I just file a regular tax return, or is there something else I need to do? Any help would be super!

J1 visa tax return [ 1 Answers ]

I was a J1 visa holder for 2009 and I have already filled out Form 1040NR-EZ, but where should I write down my expenses? Will Form 2106EZ work? And which line should I write the amount I want to deduct on my Form 1040NR-EZ? Thank you for your help!

Tax return for L1 and L2 visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on L1 visa and my spouse is on L2 visa. We have been in the US since September 2007 and do not fulfill the substantial presence test. My spouse did not have any US earnings in 2007. My question is which tax return form will be most beneficial? Should I file a joint return with my spouse...

L1 Visa Tax Return [ 1 Answers ]

I came to US on March 31 through L1 Visa and I now I am in US Payrolls.And for every payslip I am paying the following Taxes. W/H EE Federal OASDI EE Federal Medcar EE Federal W/H EE Illinois(State) If I stay in USA less than 6 months then I will get the money that I...

View more questions Search