Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jadzia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Can we be just friends?
    I have been separated from my husband for 2 years, with no chance of reconciliation. During that time a close male friend who experienced trouble in his marriage and I ended up falling in love and having an affair. His marriage has now ended however the affair is also over. He is in counselling dealing with the issues in his life, is still friends with his wife who is also now seeking professional help for the psychatric disorder that she has had for years. We still want to be friends but I am wondering if this is possible considering all that has happened. If his wife's problems are worked out he could go back to her in time (has told me this is possible however he will spend at least a year on his own while he works himself out).
    Is it possible to let go of love and to just be friends or am I better off cutting off all ties?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2007, 06:59 AM
    Are you in communication with him now? As far as just being friends and remaining friends do you think this is possible without the love affair. It is possible they may reconcile and you need to stay clear of him for the mean time until he figures out what to do. So what would the best thing to do right now is stay clear and let him work through his things.

It is up to you personally what you feel is the best decision. I think you should cut off all ties, but that is just my opinion. Especially with him telling you it is possible him and his other half might work things out.

Joe
    Sentra Posts: 385, Reputation: 55

Jan 28, 2007, 07:16 AM
    If the two of you can agree to just be friends and maintain that level of maturity, then I don't see why you shouldn't, since the both of you are going through troubled times right now. Its good to have someone to talk to that knows what you are going through, just know that if either of you can't resist taking things further, the friendship will not last and possibly end on bad terms. Wishing you well...
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 28, 2007, 08:37 AM
    If you can pay the consequenses you can do what ever you want so know that someone can get hurt in the end and realize this friendship is on borrowed time so if you know that going in then have fun while it lasts.
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2007, 11:10 AM
    I believe some people come into our lives for a reason. Maybe they need our help, maybe we need theirs. And if you are mature enough you can simply go with the flow and see where it takes you. And be ready to accept whatever outcome there is.

What are the chances of becoming friends with them both? He obviously still cares for her.

My guy helped me through the fallout of a bad childhood, married twenty years, divorced almost fifteen, he has been engaged twice and married once since we broke up. Now he is with a very nice woman and although her and I are not very close, I like her because she is good to him - and I love him very much. Just not in love with him.

I look at it this way… There is enough going on in this world as it is, so if we can get along with exes, their new friends and maybe their kids… I say go for it.

My daughter's husband was a bit of a guy when he was younger and has four daughters by different people - one of them is only a few years younger than my daughter. I have them all on my 'Grandchildren's Christmas List'.

Granted, I'm a bit of a dreamer… I want the whole world to get along… But I'm not that much of a dreamer… I know peace begins at home.

Light In The Soul

If there is light in the soul,
    There will be beauty in the person.
    If there is beauty in the person,
    There will be harmony in the house.
    If there is harmony in the house,
    There will be order in the nation.
    If there is order in the nation,
    There will be peace in the world.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I have no friends! [ 12 Answers ]

Hi everybody. I have a problem which is completely eating me up and it's getting worse day by day. The main problem is that I find it difficult to keep friends. Whenever I make friends with a group of people, there is always one person in that group who takes a dislike to me, and she (it's...

Just Friends? [ 4 Answers ]

Been seeing this guy for about three weeks. After our first date he wanted to have sex. I said no and things changed. Now he thinks I need to be in a committed relationship and he's not ready for that. Since then I have put myself out there plenty of times but all I get is the same " i dont want to...

Just friends? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm in this situation right now. I knew a girl for a few weeks and we started to know each other better. I went on my first date with her last week and I thought she had a great time. The next few days after our date, she says that she can't have a boyfriend now and she doesn't like anyone at...

More than friends? [ 6 Answers ]

Not sure if you get a lot of questions like this or not, but I thought it couldn't hurt to ask someone... I'm a college guy who's generally extroverted but kind of shy when it comes to dating, and hasn't really done much in the area since some bad, short and unsuccessful relationships a few...

View more questions Search