Ask
    bhambob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2011, 05:47 AM
    Dsl wiring
    Which CAT 5 wires do I use to connect to the 2 split wires in my NID
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 13, 2011, 04:16 PM

If you have a Whole house splitter at your D Mark, I use Blue pair for line 1, Orange pair for line 2 or fax, green for a third pair, maybe use for premise return on a RJ 31 Jack, and the brown pair I use for DSL to computer jack, then in my Quickport jacks, brown is dsl, white I use for a regular co line 1, or 2 of 4 conductors if using for a 4 wire station key service jack, blue and orange pair, gray is for fax, and the Network jacks are all of the collors with 8 pins.
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests

May 17, 2011, 06:46 PM
    The first answer is good to those who like to be organized. Typically you're just going to need the blue pair... depends on your exact wiring situation however. If this doesn't work for you give us a detailed lay out of what you have and we'll get it figured out for you.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 18, 2011, 04:46 AM

1 pair is OK for most, I like a whole House DSL splitter(4 conductors), so I don't have the filters hanging out of all my phone jacks.

May 18, 2011, 05:52 AM
    I keep everything on a small 66 block and use one filter to run all my phones through before they branch out into the different rooms.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 18, 2011, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hauntinghelper View Post
    I keep everything on a small 66 block and use one filter to run all my phones through before they branch out into the different rooms.
    That's exactly what I did back when I had DSL years ago. These days I have Fiber Optic all the way to my house.

May 18, 2011, 07:48 AM
    Haha... well, I don't have that option ;(

Funny side note... a few years ago we did some wiring for the university and they ran single mode fiber to the desktop. A bit overboard I'd say, but they should be set for bandwidth for quite some time.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 18, 2011, 07:54 AM

I worked a bit with that back in the early 80's. Today when I do its multimode at the OC192 level.

May 18, 2011, 11:02 AM
    They should really push the 50 micron.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Phone & DSL wiring [ 3 Answers ]

I have 2 lines coming from the NID to a whole house splitter then cat5 from there to each jack. The NID to splitter has 6 wires (3 pair - blue/blue-white, green/green-white, orange/orange-white). At the NID the blue pair is Line 1 (phone) & orange pair is Line 2 (DSL). The cat5 to wall jack...

How to change wiring on phone jack for DSL [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I need help! I have only one phone jack in room with computer. It is a separate line and number different from my home phone. I am getting DSL and will no longer need this separate number. When I cancel this number for cpu that line will be dead(I Think). I ordered my DSL on my regular...

DSL jack wiring [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am a total novice to DSL and don't know completely how it works with existing phone lines. Will I have to rewire all of the jacks in my house to split the phone service from the DSL or does the wall jack just split the service? The wiring in my house 25 years old and the multi colored stuff....

DSL and wiring phone jacks [ 1 Answers ]

I have phone svc through SBC and DSL stand alone through Qwest; was assigned a separate phone # for dsl svc and was told could not "piggyback" on same phone jack; trying to avoid paying $100 svc fee to qwest; have purchased separate jack but don't know what wires to attach where. Can anyone help?

View more questions Search