Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bmathers Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2011, 12:01 PM
    I cant get my license back?
    I lost my license in a DUI ca accident 2 two years ago. Been without since. I need to know how much I would have to put down at the DMV on a 15400 dollar fine in order to get my licence back. I don't want to go in there with the wrong amout of money and I also need to know what the monthly payments would be for as long I have to pay. I'm so stressed and its impossible to get a decent job without my licence. What should I do?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 12, 2011, 12:07 PM

This should not be posted in corporate law.

However, I am reading that CA will NOT take payments and return your license. It will take payments BUT the license is not returned until the total amount is paid in full.

Is that a fine or did you have to pay for injury or damage to someone else or their property?

Your only hope is to retain an Attorney but from what I am reading there are no exceptions.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 12, 2011, 01:11 PM
    $15,400 fine? Move to Nevada or Oregon.
    Uber Member

May 12, 2011, 02:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    $15,400 fine? Move to Nevada or Oregon.

If you cannot get a license in CA you cannot get one in any other State. The Departments of Motor Vehicles are reciprocal.

Please give your source -

May 12, 2011, 07:24 PM
    I got my violation in FL. What's the difference if I move to OR?

May 12, 2011, 07:30 PM
    I have to pay the FL department of trasportation. The process is I have to go to the dmv put a down payment, pay the renstatement fee then comtinue to pay until it is fulfilled. 5000 to FLDT, 10400 to the person I wreaked into. Unless I get them to sign a release form.

May 12, 2011, 07:34 PM
    I'm from WA state and I want to move home asap. I'm an ocean life guard in FL now but the city is laying everbody off. I have to have my licence to get a job in WA so I need to figure a way around this. Oterwise I will not be able to get a reasonable job.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2011, 07:35 PM

My understanding is that yes they will take payments but no, the license is not going to be given back till it is paid in full.

So did your attorney in court not get the details for you ?
    But you will need to contact the state office to see what down payment they will accept to start with.
    Uber Member

May 13, 2011, 05:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmathers View Post
    I got my violation in FL. whats the difference if i move to OR??

The States honor each other's suspensions. If this were not true everyone who had a hefty fine would move to another State.

Check with DMV but I guarantee I am right.

DMV wants to make an impression on you. This is the only way they know how to do that.

You were driving uninsured?

May 14, 2011, 11:48 AM
    I only had PIP insureance which only covered 10000 for property damage and 10000 for injury for each person. The dmv said I can get my licence back but I had to make a down payment first and pay or lose my licence again. How do I contact the state attorney office? I just took the public defender cuase I knew I would be convicted.
    Uber Member

May 14, 2011, 11:53 AM

This is not what the law says but if that's what someone told you... Home | State of California - Department of Justice - Kamala D. Harris Attorney General
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 14, 2011, 12:10 PM

If you already made the court deal, there is no reason to contact the attorney generals office, they have really nothing to do with your drivers license, The unpaid liability to the victim is all statutory law though the DMV,

If the DMV told you that you can make a down payment, then go see that same person and make arrangements for that down payment.

You can or also should contact your public defender, the attorney generals office is the "bad guy" to you, they are the ones convicting you.

May 15, 2011, 02:42 PM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    What dose the law say? If you can tell me I would be grateful.

May 15, 2011, 02:42 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Lets say I lose my job. How could I ever get my licence back. I would be a bum
    Uber Member

May 15, 2011, 02:53 PM

I already told you - try reading what I posted a second time.

Yes, the punishment for driving with insufficient insurance while drunk is the necessity to find a job that's on a bus line.

If you are unhappy with the terms set by the Court go back to Court and request jail time in lieu of fines/penalities. You may or may not be successful but you would get 3 meals a day and free lodging.

Otherwise you are paying the price for driving drunk, without sufficient insurance.

Oh, did I mention that my father was killed by a drunk driver?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to petition court for license back [ 7 Answers ]

My husband lost his license due to an accident w/no insurancein Virginia. License has been suspended but was caught driving on suspended license. DMW classified him as habitual offender. Judge for accident put him on probation and told him it was okay for him to get his license but DMV won't...

Its been a year since my DUI, how do I go about getting my license back? [ 2 Answers ]

My DUI got reduced to wet and reckless.. how do I get my license back since its been suspended for a year now?

Getting my license back after a DUI. [ 3 Answers ]

Hey. Okay, so march 2007 (when I was 19) I was driving drunk and crashed into a wall on the freeway. No one else was included in all this. I was caught and the cops did that sobriety test and of course... I failed. I ended up getting a lawyer and he got everything dismissed, but my license...

Getting your license back after a dui [ 1 Answers ]

I have close to 3 months until i am allowed to apply for my liscense again because of a dui. i have been very lucky about having a ride the past 9 months because my mom hasnt been working and i have a lot of family. she is now going back to work and i will no longer have a reliable ride to work. Is...

Getting license back? [ 22 Answers ]

My suspension is up for a first offense DUI. There was an accident, I had no insurance and was hit by another driver. There is no civil case, no court judgements, just letters from the other drivers insurance company wanting me to pay for her damages. The DOT received the same letter that I did...

View more questions Search