Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jduke10699 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2011, 11:12 AM
    What is best way to locate a leak in an outside water line from the meter?
    THe water line is about 550 ft.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 12, 2011, 12:23 PM
    The first way is to look for wet spots, sinking soil etc. The next best way is with an ultrasonic noise detector but the leak has to be large enough to make some noise. Finally, with approval and use by a certified company, they will introduce a very low level short half life radioactive isotope and then monitor the soil for radiation. How deep is the line? You may have to start digging!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 12, 2011, 02:48 PM

Good advice but tell us what makes you think you have a leak. Does the meter spin even when there is no draw at the house?
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2011, 09:34 PM

To confirm that you have leak in your water supply line to the house or leak inside the house.

When there is no water draw at the house, see the images below which water meter you got and check the meter leak detector that it should not spin.

If it spins now you need to find the leak is inside the house or outside, close the main Shut off valve to your house and see if it still spins if it does the leak is outside, if it stops spinning the leak is inside the house, good luck.

John
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 12, 2011, 10:30 PM

In addition to the above responses: Few times we were able to easily locate leaking main water line by looking over the area and noticing where the greenery thrives the best and grows the tallest.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I locate a underground water leak [ 3 Answers ]

I have water in my yard. How do I locate the water leak?

Water meter and air in line [ 3 Answers ]

Sometimes my water is turned off in my neighborhood. When it is back on the pressure is very hig, would air in the line and too much pressure cause the meter to read higher than norman. Thanks

Water meter turns but no leak [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I live in france and have had new interior plumbing which is now 2 years old. The water meter is going round when there is no water on. We can hear water going through the pipes when the stop valves are off, although the water in the kitchen(cold) will not turn off from these stop valves. ...

Where is the water going.Leak, meter? [ 3 Answers ]

I received my bi-monthly water bill recently. It stated that I had used 15,000 gallons of water. I usually use 7-8,000 gallons. None of the fixtures are leaking, no water in the house, and no swampy areas of the lawn. With all fixtures in the off position and no water being intentionally used, I...

Water Meter Dial & Possible Leak [ 1 Answers ]

The dial on my water meter that detects water flow (I think this is how one detects a leak) normally moves in a counter clockwise direction when water is flowing from a sink etc. When water was not flowing, the dial would stop then creep slowly still in a counter clockwise direction. I suspected...

View more questions Search