Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bailey666 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2011, 12:50 AM
    Help! Moisture coming up grout lines
    Hello
    Over the past few months, we have been noticing darkened areas of grout in the floor tile. The entire first floor of the house is tiled.
    Some of these areas go away, some get white powdery blooms, and most recently... two areas have pinhole puddles of water coming up through the grout.
    We have checked the leak dial and it doesn't show any leaks.
    There is no underground plumbing, so it can't be a "slab leak".
    Our neighbor is a plumber, and he had no suggestions, found no leaks.
    There is no defined pattern or pathway to follow... just random grout lines.
    There is a bathroom with sink/toilet and unused shower, that is furthest from the moist grout.
    The majority of the affected areas, are around the kitchen table, just outside the kitchen sink area.
    Our first thought was to check the kitchen sink, since it is closest, but I was told the moisture source can be coming from anywhere, settling in another area completely.
    Any ideas??
    Thank you!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 12, 2011, 02:20 AM
    Where do you live, and how old is the house, and how long have you lived in it?
    First floor all tile sounds like south. Much of the South has been oversaturated. Maybe ground water coming up through the slab. Maybe a crack, if the entire slab isn't involved. Go around your foundation and peer at every inch of concrete to look for side cracks, if your kitchen table is near an outside wall.
    Also, where is your sewer line. It has to go through the slab somewhere. Even if the water isn't smelly it could happen just when a washer drains.
    Ask the town building inspector if he knows about others being affected by high water table.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2011, 04:00 AM

Bailey, to add to joy's good advice, check you downspouts making sure the water is directed away from house. Good luck
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 12, 2011, 07:11 AM

So your home is built on a slab and the piping is under the slab, right?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is there very little moisture coming out of my central ac line outside the house? [ 2 Answers ]

Why is there very little moisture dripping from the line outside of my house for the centrlal ac unit

Regouting grout lines [ 7 Answers ]

I just like to know if I need to rinse the grout lines before I apply new grout? It is for the floor and the gap between the tiles are not wide. It is difficult to pour water in it to rinse.

Newly installed grout has moisture [ 1 Answers ]

I tiled my bathroom and grouted it around Christmas time. I have used the shower already and have no problems. I have noticed that the Grout has been breaking off in some sections of the floor and I have noticed some small water coming out from the grout as I step onto some of the tiles. (Did...

Moisture Coming up Through Tile Floor [ 3 Answers ]

For awhile now we've noticed there is often a small puddle of moisture seeping up through our tile floor in our bathroom. It's near a toilet and a shower. How does one diagnose where there moisture/water is coming from without ripping up the floor to see if there's a pipe leak or something...

View more questions Search