Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ginnyh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2011, 04:22 AM
    Exterior door installation in basement
    I want to replace a basement window with a door. What type of professional do I call? I don't want to have something installed and have my house fall apart a year later. I'm limited in funds but do want the job done correctly. Where do I begin? Who do I call? What should I look for? Thank you
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 11, 2011, 02:33 PM
    Is this a frame wall or Masonry? If Frame, a competent carpenter should be able to reframe the opening for a door. Most exterior doors are 36 or 30". Don't use a smaller door. If this is masonry, you will need to have someone cut the bricks/block to the rough opening for the door and then get a carpenter. This is a fairly common thing to do, we just replaced a 36" window with a 36" door, used a prehung door set and only had to cut the siding back a bit for the brickmold to clear. Consider having the door open in or the hinges will be on the outside and easy to knock out the pins.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Exterior Door Threshold [ 8 Answers ]

We have a door entering our basement from the exterior of the house. A threshold was never installed and as such, there is a gap, approximately 3/4" between the floor and the bottom of the door that is allowing bugs to enter the home (not to mention the cold pretty soon). Of course I'd like to...

Should an exterior door have a taper? [ 1 Answers ]

I never noticed until I started trying to weatherstrip my front door, but it appears the door once had a taper to it. That is, the width of the interior face of the door (hinge side to latch side) is about 1/8" wider than the exterior face. Unfortunately, over the years, people have tried trimming...

32 exterior door [ 10 Answers ]

Hello All, I scored an awesome deal the other day. I bought an 32 in exterior door, got it home and realized it is a 6 1/2 jamb for a 2x6 opening. I have 2x4 framing. So I need to make this fit. Where can I get another 2 inches at ? Should I rip cut a couple of 2x4's and add to the...

New door and jamb? EXTERIOR [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 1920"s stucco home. They still have I believe, possibly the original doors. My wife wants new doors,so do I. I want to attempt to buy replacement doors with jams attached. I didn't remove anything yet,but measured jam thickness of old doors. It is larger then doors at Home Depot. ...

Paint exterior door [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently painted my exterior door which is a metal plate on a wooden door. Before painting, I striped the old paint, sanded, cleaned, and primed the door. I then used a brush to apply a good latex exterior paint. When the paint dried it looks like it had "water spots" all over the door. ...

View more questions Search