Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2011, 02:03 PM
    Obama going Nixon on us
    Obama is considering an executive order that "would require any company bidding for a government contract, its political action committee – and its senior officers—to provide in a convenient single report a list of all of their contributions to political parties and candidates for the past two years."

Obama’s Nixonian Enemies List On Steroids

President Barack Obama is reportedly about to sign an executive order that would vastly expand the power of his administration to coerce and intimidate the private sector into submission while restricting the ability of his opponents to engage in political activities.

The order would require any company bidding for a government contract, its political action committee – and its senior officers—to provide in a convenient single report a list of all of their contributions to political parties and candidates for the past two years. These disclosures currently are required, but made in various reports to different government agencies. In addition, for the first time ever, companies and individuals would be required to report donations to “third party entities” including membership dues and charitable donations made to organizations that may engage in political speech in addition to their other activities.

“This information could easily be used to form a Nixonian enemies list on steroids,” explains Sean Parnell, president of the Center for Competitive Politics.

Similar disclosure requirements were in a bill that last year’s Democratic Senate was unwilling to pass. By signing the order, President Obama would override the democratic process and rule, instead, by decree.

The administration justifies the disclosures in the name of transparency. But, in this case, transparency can easily morph into tyranny. I do not use this word lightly, but in the appropriate definition as an “oppressive power exerted by government.”
    At least one Democrat rightly doesn't care for the idea, Minority Whip Steny Hoyer.

"The issue of contracting ought to be on the merits of the contractor's application and bid and capabilities," Hoyer told reporters at the Capitol. "There are some serious questions as to what implications there are if somehow we consider political contributions in the context of awarding contracts."
    Transparency my eye, this administration just wants to keep its boot on the neck of just about everyone.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 10, 2011, 02:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Transparency my eye, this administration just wants to keep its boot on the neck of just about everyone.
    Hello Steve:

Your eye, my a$$.

Sorry.. Your selective outrage is, well SELECTIVE... To me, what you're complaining about PALES in comparison to the government READING your email and LISTENING to your phone calls...

THAT kind of boot on our neck is cool with you... Dude!

excon
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2011, 04:55 PM

Now see, there you go again. Instead of acknowledging where we agree, like my BB team kicks a$$, you have to whine.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2011, 05:07 PM

It's all part of that transparency thingy .He wants full disclosure from his opponents. Meanwhile his White House budget director Jack Lew is ducking any attempt by Darrell Issa, chair of the House Oversight Committee to answer to the committee what the President intends to do with the information.
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2011, 07:27 AM

Speaking of transparency, the administration has granted another couple hundred Obamacare waivers... "through a transparent process" that no one, including the House Energy and Commerce Committee, can seem to get in information on.

I've said it before, this is an extraordinarily Orwellian regime.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2011, 07:56 AM

... add to that the NLRB's bullying of Boeing.
    Uber Member

May 16, 2011, 07:57 AM
    Instead of acknowledging where we agree, like my BB team kicks a$$, you have to whine.
    Hello, Mr. Transparency:

Ok, what's YOUR secret?

excon
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2011, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello, Mr. Transparency:

Ok, what's YOUR secret?

excon
    Draft, pick up and play winners.
    Uber Member

May 16, 2011, 08:33 AM
    Draft, pick up and play winners.
    Hello again, Steve:

I tried that. It don't work. You got something up your sleeve. You paying off the commiss??

excon
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2011, 09:50 AM

Wait, you're the commish.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Of course Nixon was guilty in Watergate. Everybody knows that. [ 5 Answers ]

What top ten Fallacies does it apply to the statement?

Richard Nixon watergate [ 2 Answers ]

In the recent film "Frost Nixon" it alleged that Nixon confessed to his partaking in the watergate coverup. I do not remember that occurring. Is it true?

Who was the president of the you.S. After Nixon but before Ford ? [ 8 Answers ]

Who was the president of the U.S. after Nixon but before Ford ?

View more questions Search