Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Assel Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2011, 11:45 AM
    How to overcome fear and shyness and begin to enjoy socializing with people
    I was always unhappy at school, all shy and just silently endured all the insults by my clasmates, and then come home digested it all in my head again and again. It was a feeling that these people run me and my life every time they hurt me. I began to think that something is wrong with me, that I'm too weak and always blamed myself in everything. Became angry. This terrible state lasted so long that I didn't want to live anymore. But I understand that I must to live. But I'm tired to absorb all the insults all bad words. I want to overcome my own shyness, perceive world and people correctly and the way they are behave yourselves. Help me ***!!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 10, 2011, 12:09 PM

You need to get out and practice.

I used to have a fear of spiders, so someone talked me into going to a pet store and hold a tarantula.

Presuming that you have some friends, rely on them to help you: Go out with them and interact with other people with those friends that you have. That will help your confidence level so that you can later get out and "socialize" on your own.

Do it! :)

May 10, 2011, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ View Post
    You need to get out and practice.

I used to have a fear of spiders, so someone talked me into going to a pet store and hold a tarantula.

Presuming that you have some friends, rely on them to help you: Go out with them and interact with other people with those friends that you have. That will help your confidence level so that you can later get out and "socialize" on your own.

Do it! :)
    Thank you for advice, I hope that I'll change in a good way:)
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

May 10, 2011, 12:46 PM

I used to be just like you. When I was in elementary school and middle school I was really quiet and a lot of kids used to pick on me so much. The thing is that some kids are just cruel.. not all, but some and if they can easily pick on you without you saying anything, they will keep at it.

You just have to go out there and talk to people even if you are scared. Jump into the fire. It won't eat you alive. Even if some people still say things to you, let it roll off your back and be the bigger person.

A good way to get out of your comfort zone is to join a club, volunteer, go to a church or any activity that involves meeting new people. Experience is the key to getting out of your shell.

May 10, 2011, 12:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by XOXOlove View Post
    I used to be just like you. When I was in elementary school and middle school I was really quiet and a lot of kids used to pick on me so much. The thing is that some kids are just cruel.. not all, but some and if they can easily pick on you without you saying anything, they will keep at it.

You just have to go out there and talk to people even if you are scared. Jump into the fire. It won't eat you alive. Even if some people still say things to you, let it roll off your back and be the bigger person.

A good way to get out of your comfort zone is to join a club, volunteer, go to a church or any activity that involves meeting new people. Experience is the key to getting out of your shell.
    Thank you so much for your answer, it's very big help to me. But why some people are so cruel, even if you're not doing anything bad for them?
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

May 10, 2011, 01:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Assel View Post
    Thank you so much for your answer, it's very big help to me. But why some people are so cruel, even if you're not doing anything bad for them?
    What I meant was some people that are manipulative might find you easy to attack, especially if you aren't going to say anything back.
    SFC_Schwartz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2011, 08:52 PM
    The best way to get over being shy is to get over being shy. I know you think that this is a simplistic answer, but if you start talking to people, you will start to like talking to people. Some tips I have used:

• Learn one joke and tell it well. If you can get people to laugh with you, they will be more comfortable with you.
    • Learn about one thing you care about. For me it is sports. Specifically NASCAR. I can talk about NASCAR to anybody because I spend a lot of time following it. Talk to people about what you are interested. The person you talk to may not be interested in the exact same thing as you, but at least you have room to find a common ground.
    • Listen. The best talkers are those that get others to do most of the talking. You can ask questions, you can be part of groups.

Finally, don't worry so much about what others think about you. In a couple of years, you won't know most of these people anymore. I love talking to people at the mall, because most I will never see again.

May 11, 2011, 11:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SFC_Schwartz View Post
    The best way to get over being shy is to get over being shy. I know you think that this is a simplistic answer, but if you start talking to people, you will start to like talking to people. Some tips I have used:

• Learn one joke and tell it well. If you can get people to laugh with you, they will be more comfortable with you.
    • Learn about one thing you care about. For me it is sports. Specifically NASCAR. I can talk about NASCAR to anybody because I spend a lot of time following it. Talk to people about what you are interested. The person you talk to may not be interested in the exact same thing as you, but at least you have room to find a common ground.
    • Listen. The best talkers are those that get others to do most of the talking. You can ask questions, you can be part of groups.

Finally, don't worry so much about what others think about you. In a couple of years, you won't know most of these people anymore. I love talking to people at the mall, because most I will never see again.
    Thank you for your answer:)
    mmresd Posts: 2,002, Reputation: 553
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2011, 11:34 AM

Practice is the way to go. Try going to a mall or something alike around you and say hi to EVERYONE that passes in front of you. Do it to maybe 1000-1500 people and you will see that your fear to approach will have gotten better, then you can start focusing on what you should say after saying hello.

May 11, 2011, 11:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mmresd View Post
    Practice is the way to go. Try going to a mall or something alike around you and say hi to EVERYONE that passes in front of you. Do it to maybe 1000-1500 people and you will see that your fear to approach will have gotten better, then you can start focusing on what you should say after saying hello.
    Thank you
    samuelspeak Posts: 71, Reputation: 5

May 13, 2011, 03:19 AM
    Yes as everyone said, practice is the key. Just boost some confidence and go out and start meeting people. Your friends will be very helpful to help you start with. It's not that difficult once you get through the initial phase. Good luck!

May 13, 2011, 04:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by samuelspeak View Post
    Yes as everyone said, practice is the key. Just boost some confidence and go out and start meeting people. Your friends will be very helpful to help you start with. It's not that difficult once you get through the initial phase. Good luck!
    Thank you:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I overcome my shyness on a date? [ 7 Answers ]

OK so throughout my life it seems that whenever I'm with my boyfriend I can't seem to talk. The same goes for when we're on the phone. I'm usually not very shy but it seems that I just can't make a conversation because I'm so nervous. Before I started to date the guy we were able to talk just fine....

How do you overcome shyness? [ 3 Answers ]

OK, so how does everyone get over their shyness? I'm 26 and first meetings with someone are hell for me. I get so nervous it's like the cat has my tongue. It'll last the whole time too, I just freeze up. Usually about the 3rd meeting things will ease up, but seriously now that is too long. Does...

How to overcome shyness and boringosity in a gay teen? [ 4 Answers ]

I am a gay teenager and I have never been kissed. I know that I live in a small town and that gay people are hard to find but I have already had a few opportunities to be in a relationship. The problem is that I am too shy to just start talking to people unless I know them well or it is not an...

How can I overcome my shyness with girls ? [ 1 Answers ]

How can I overcome my shyness with girls I have a lot of trouble talking to them can some one give me some advice?

Overcome shyness [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a junior in high school and I still haven't had a real boyfriend. Well, I've had those fake relationships in like 8th grade, but I haven't really had a boyfriend. A lot of guys like flirt with me and I flirt back but since I'm so shy it never goes further than that. It sucks because it seems...

View more questions Search