Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 10, 2011, 11:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    I'm confused - what happens if you try to open these zipped files with another unzip program?
    On the computer where the program is working, I can double click on the zip file to see the .df1 file that is in it.

If I double click on a zip file on this new laptop, I get

Compressed (zipped) Folders Error
    Access to c:\... etc.ZIP was denied.
    Uber Member

May 10, 2011, 11:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Did you reboot and do a ccleaner between un and re installs ?

need to make sure it's completely removed before reinstalling it.
    I did not run ccleaner between un and re-installs. I've never had to do that before. We've done this several times in the past 10 years with new computers. Are you really thinking that it has something to do with a "clean" install?

I got this laptop formatted with only Windows on it and this program is the only one that I've installed on it.
    Uber Member

May 10, 2011, 12:16 PM

I've got to leave for the day. I'll be back tomorrow about 7am EST to look for the suggestion that works, so that I can send someone this $75 that is burning a hole in my pocket :)

FYI, if any of you are available between 8am and Noon EST for a call, I'd be happy to talk to you and give you access to my computer via Logmein.com. PM me with your phone number and I'll be thrilled to give you a call if you think you can solve my issue over the phone.

PS. As you might guess, I can only give access to my computer to a long term member of this site.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 10, 2011, 12:20 PM
    <AOL> You've got Mail!</AOL>

:-)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 10, 2011, 12:51 PM
    Sounds like NK might of cracked it..
    Uber Member

May 11, 2011, 04:36 AM

NK was able to open my zip file no problem. I knew there was no problem with the zip file itself as I too was able to open it (and use it to restore) on 2 other computers.

Apparently there is something about the new computer that will not allow the program to restore from a zip file (that contains a .df1 file).

So I am giving up, and am suggesting to the one that will use this laptop: come to my office, copy the latest .df1 file to a flash drive and take it home and move it into the folder for the program.

Thank you all for your help.

Although the problem was not solved, I'm still going to pay. I'll split it between the two that spent the most time in this thread.
    BossMan

May 11, 2011, 04:40 AM
    Here's a final thought on this.

Upgrade the application ;)
    Uber Member

May 11, 2011, 04:43 AM
    Why don't you just uninstall the non-functioning zip program and install 7-zip? Is it because the database program (Tenant?) has made an association with Dynazip that cannot be broken?
    Uber Member

May 11, 2011, 04:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Here's a final thought on this.

Upgrade the application ;)
    Not an option. The 4 of us who use the application are on WindowsXP Computers.

The upgraded application is $800 and it does not work on WindowsXP... so not only would we have to pay the $800 for the upgrade, but we'd need to upgrade 4 computers.

Not in the budget :(
    BossMan

May 11, 2011, 04:47 AM
    Why don't you just uninstall the non-functioning zip program and install 7-zip? Is it because the database program (Tenant?) has made an association with Dynazip that cannot be broken?
    DynaZip is the actual background zip application used by M$, so changing it wouldn't really be an option.
    http://www.innermedia.com/
    Uber Member

May 11, 2011, 04:52 AM
    I don't have a zip program on the new laptop (besides what I presume is a part of the computer; DynaZip).

If the one that will be using this laptop doesn't want to come to my office twice a week to get the update file, then I'll suggest to her that she try another unzip program.

I'll leave that up to her. I've spent many hours on it already so if she does not like it, she can decide on other avenues of her own.
    Uber Member

May 11, 2011, 04:54 AM
    Ben: So the database program will only ever use only the 'native' Windows zip program? That's an odd feature.

Rick: Get them to install 7-zip or a simpler older free version of Winzip: http://www.oldversion.com/WinZip.html
    BossMan

May 11, 2011, 04:58 AM
    So the database program will only ever use only the 'native' Windows zip program? That's an odd feature.
    Makes the coding easier if it's designed to use the inbuilt rather than digging through the actual file associations and registry ;)

Our works T&A system will only accept inbuilt defaults rather than "decent" installed applications.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can you unzip downloads [ 2 Answers ]

When I download a patch for my pc-games it shows me that I must unzip it and that winzip programme is bad.

Password for windowsxp [ 6 Answers ]

Hello,my windows is windowsxp and I want to make to my modem/router a password.I've been told that if I do so then my internet will never open with me again.I would like to know is this true?and if not,I would like to know how could I make password so nobody can use my internet? plzzzzzzz help me...

WindowsXP Pro/ Home [ 1 Answers ]

I have a computer that has windows XP Pro on it and it has been written over. I purchased XP Home edition and want it on my computer. My question is I guess how do I install Home over XP on the partition since it will not let me delete the current partition?

How to boot windowsxp [ 4 Answers ]

Actually my problem is I am not able to listen online songs,I am not able to download,so one of my friend suggested to boot the system can any one tell me how to do this

WindowsNT Vs. WindowsXP [ 2 Answers ]

Whts the differenece between Win NT & Win XP?

View more questions Search