Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tdove1207 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2011, 01:25 PM
    Judgement and buying a house
    I am trying to buy a house and have been paying my credit cards down, only have a 130.00 left to pay on a credit card, now I received a letter that a lawsuit has been filed for a medical bill that I did not pay, does anyone know how this will effect me in my house buying, I want to try to ask the creditor if I can make monthly payment in exchange for dismissal. I have not been served yet but a card has been left on my door,, help
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 9, 2011, 03:23 PM

A judgment will have an affect on your credit rating. So it would behoove you to negotiate a settlement with the creditor.
    tdove1207 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2011, 06:10 PM
    If I negotiate a payment plan, will it still go on my credit report, could I also negotiate with the creditor to dimiss the lawsuit in exchange for payment, I am trying to buy the house within 2 months
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 9, 2011, 06:31 PM

I would assume that a non paid, late pay doctor bill is already on your report and it has a negative effect. A judgement will do a lot of additional damage already.

Next not to sound mean, but you have just paid off a credit card, and need to pay off a medical bill, where is all the money you will need for a down payment, In today's market you will need at least 10 percent and most likely 20 percent of the purchase price.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buying a bankruptcy house on court house steps [ 6 Answers ]

I seen a house in the legal section of our local newspaper that is being sold on the court house steps to the highest bidder. I actually drove to the house and talked to the current owners. They said they are going into bankruptcy and that is why the house is being sold. They even let me tour...

Buying a house [ 4 Answers ]

I just put an offer in on a house , on some conditions I signed the papers to put in the offer but I put no money down how long do I have to back out of this deal if I'm not interested.

Buying a house [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all, Im in the process of trying to buy my first home. Im just wondering if this is the right time or do you guys think the prices will continue to fall in the coming months? This is for a house in the San Francisco Bay Area..

Buying a house [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a way to buy a house & land with bad credit & no money down? My husband & I haved lived in Iowa for four years. Now our landlords say we have to move so they can build a house here for there daughters. My husband works hard but we have a lot of bills two kids & a lot of animals so I do...

View more questions Search