Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pratikgrover Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2011, 10:39 AM
    What are factors accountable for derating of cables
    There is a term known as DE-RATING FACTOR of cables.
    What are the reasons for this de-rating of cables.?
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

May 9, 2011, 11:34 AM
    Anything which causes the cables to heat up more than the nominal conditions under which they are rated. For example, stacking multiple cables together in proximity causes them to heat each other (similar to the way that two people snuggling together in bed are warmer than one person alone). Also, if the ambient conditions are warmer than that of the nominal rating. For example, if a cable is rated for burial in the earth at 25 degrees C, but the soil temperature is actually warmer than that, the cable will be derated. Likewise, if it's in air that's warmer than the typical rated temperature of 30C. Also, if the cable is exposed to solar heating or other heat sources, it must be derated as well.

These charts will give you some good examples for the various factors that cause derating.
    ibadullah Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2011, 10:58 AM
    Every cable has the ambient temperature for example 40*c if the temperature of the surrounding is greater than the ambient temp of the cable then the conductor of cables become heat up which increases the resistance of cable and decreases the current flow so the cable will derate
    sinnadurai Posts: 127, Reputation: 2

Jun 8, 2011, 06:49 AM
    BS7671 gives several methods of grouping and methods of laying cables which affects the current rating.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Derating cables [ 9 Answers ]

I am installing two 12/3 uf cables in a continuous 1.5 pvc buried pipe from my basement to a backyard pull box for landscape lighting. How much must I derate the two 12/3 uf cables because they are in a pipe?

Several factors influence the value obtained for a t statistic. Some factors affect t [ 1 Answers ]

Several factors influence the value obtained for a t statistic. Some factors affect the numerator of the t statistic and others influence the size of the estimated standard error in the denominator. For each of the following, indicate whether the factor influences the numerator of dominator of the...

The cables of my ac are torn by my dog how can I change the cables? [ 2 Answers ]

The cables of my ac are torn by my dog how can I change does electrical cables?

Derating factor of cables [ 1 Answers ]

What is meant by derating factor.How it effects the ampacity of the cable.

Accountable for boyfriends Debt? [ 4 Answers ]

Can I be held accountable for my boyfriends debt if we live together? I live in Ontario, Canada. Any help would be appreciated!

View more questions Search