Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    masterbath Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 09:13 PM
    Looking for good inexpensive faucets
    Still in deep on the bathroom remodel. Finally got the pipe sweating down - thanks to all. It now is the least of my worries. What a lot of reading and practice will do for you. Anyway, I am trying to find some decent inexpensive faucets. I have shoehorned myself a bit because I want wall mount faucets (preferrably 2-hole type). Problem is a brand like Kohler is close to 400.00 a faucet and that doesn't even include the valve - ~200.00. Not even close to my budget on faucets. So I posted on another site and someone said Kohler is crap. Someone else recommended Sterling which turns out was bought by Kohler. I had found some cheaper faucets on eBay but was concerned of the quality. Does anyone have any ideas/recommendations?

Also, are valves interchangeble. Meaning if I get a "like" valve from one manufacturer can I get a faucet to fit it from another? I ask this because on my budget I can get the valves now and finish out my wall and get the faucets later but am afraid I will find a different brand that is cheaper or more to my liking. Of course this is based on picking the same type - 2-hole wall mounted.

Thanks again for everything.
    Scott
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 25, 2007, 09:33 PM
    1. Spend the extra money, you will never regret it, you will get what you pay for in quality, looks and the number of years they last.

2. If the money just is not possible, visit your local store like Lowe's or Home Depo and get the top quality in your budget.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2007, 10:32 PM
    When you want faucets that are odd and different from the norm you have to pay the price. Just one piece of advice about some of the luxury or expensive faucets. Lots of them are a really cheap faucet body that is very hard to find parts for, with fancy handles and trim that in time the finish will tarnish and peel off, of course these faucets carry a lifetime warranty, all you have to do to get them replaced is to call 1-800-China, oh by the way there will be a small shipping charge, and it you get the right parts you will be one of the very lucky ones.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 26, 2007, 05:29 AM
    You ask for two hole wall mount valves and then leave us in the dark about what type of faucets you're looking for. Lavatory, tub or shower valve. They make all three in wall mount style. Sooo, what exactly are you seeking? Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2007, 07:10 AM
    I had to replace my kitchen faucet last year. I was very happy with the Moen we found reasonable at Lowe's. It was a simple, plain, single handle, maybe $30-$40. I expect a Moen to out live me, if it does have a problem, I should easily be able to find a new cartridge.

You will pay for your preference of a wall mount one for a Lavatory.

What do you mean valves? The stops? Usually they don't connect directly to the faucet and you can use anything. I would use chromed angle stops if exposed, otherwise a ball valve. Ball valves are more quick to use and leak less.
    Just leave plenty of room to connect the faucet when you get it.

Jan 26, 2007, 09:05 AM
    Thanks to all and sorry I did forget to mention lavatory which is what I am looking for. I do realize that you get what you pay for, and that our choice is driving the price up but dang, I don't get why these things are so freaking expensive. We chose wall mounts cause we are doing vessel sinks. It was my thought that it will be easier to maintain with a wall mount because in the event of spillage, it is less difficult to clean behind the vessel. Anyway, as for the valves, pretty much everyone I have found (didnt realize this before) requires a valve that is a separate purchase. It is the rough in vavle where. To me it appears it is the actual faucet and the rest is just cosmetic. That is what makes it hard to drop 300-400 on a piece of nickel.

Here is an example - Danze which turns out to be the least expensive one I have found. Anyone know Danze?

The Faucet Depot - Product Details for: Danze D216554 Sonora Collection Single Handle Complete Wall Mounted Lavatory Faucet in Polished Chrome

And here is the valve that it requires.

Valve
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 26, 2007, 09:19 AM
    Click on, Wall mount faucet for a vessel sink - Google Search

Anf see if something better comes up. Good luck, Tom

Jan 26, 2007, 09:44 AM
    Thanks tom. I bet if there were Google stats for me, I'd be in the top 10 with that search. Do you know anything on Danze? At this point, I have heard people say no to kohler, no to grohne, recommend T&S Brass, and others I have never heard of. I suspect I will go with these assuming I don't find any glaring deficiencies and just plan my rough in so that if and when they go bad and I still live in the house, replacing them won't be too bad.
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 26, 2007, 11:56 AM
    As a rule I don't recommend brands. However for a valve with the least maintenance and the simplest replacement options I choose Moen. Regards, Tom

Jan 26, 2007, 05:09 PM
    Thanks. I decided to chance the Danze. I found the valves for 97 each and the wall mount faucets for about 120 each. I hope that I will be out of this house before I realize my choice was wrong.
    BathReno07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2007, 01:49 PM
    masterbath -

Where did you find the faucet and valves? We are in the same situation and looking for a 2 hole as well.

Mar 25, 2007, 01:59 PM
    I went with danze. From irawoodonline

Danze D216454BNT Sonora Wall Mount Single Handle Lav Faucet w/ Valve for Vessel Sink Brushed Nickel

Of course you need the valve as well so it didn't end up being that cheap

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calcium deposits in faucets [ 5 Answers ]

For a while now I have been removing and cleaning all the screens in every faucet in my house. They become filled with chunks of what I am guessing is calcium. I even had to replace the internal valve on my upstairs bathroom faucets. Our kitchen is the worst, it needs to be cleaned many times a...

Does an inexpensive southern beach community exist? [ 7 Answers ]

We are hoping to relocate to a location in one of the southern states that is near the ocean, has a quaint charm (like a walkable main street) and doesn't cost a fortune. After we do retire - we will possibly be able to afford approximately 250$ tops. Is there a place with these features? Can't...

Glacier Bay Faucets [ 1 Answers ]

I work at an apartment property that is just about a year old we have Glacier Bay faucets we are having trouble finding the diverter for the kitchen faucet they are whistling and making a thumping noise and when the sprayer is used they often leak we have looked at our vendors like HDS and they do...

Low flow from faucets [ 1 Answers ]

Older house in NC. Water pressure and flow are very low from the kitchen sink and also lavatory faucets. However when you are filling washing machine which is at the other end of the house pressure and flow seem almost normal from both Kitchen and lavatory faucets. Problem is more related to...

Kitchen Sink Faucets [ 5 Answers ]

How do I unplug my kitchen sink faucets? I removed the aerator and cleaned it, but that doesn't improve the flow at all.

View more questions Search