Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iris1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2011, 10:35 AM
    How to remove paint from 100 year old wooden steps, 3 coats of stripper already
    I have a 100 year old house with 12 wooden steps outside. I 've used 3 coats of paint stripper and still not all the paint is off, I got a sander and used 60 grit sand paper, paint still won't come off... any more ideas?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 8, 2011, 11:40 AM

Keep at it... in all those years you likely have a very think coating of paint. Try covering the stripper with a sheet of plastic drop cloth. It will prevent it from evaporating and help it work better for longer.

Other options you may have carry a great deal of risk and danger.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 8, 2011, 05:09 PM
    If the paint is very old, it definitely has Lead in it. Are you wearing a NIOSH approved respirator? I'd use a belt sander with 100 or 120, 60 eats up too much wood.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 8, 2011, 08:03 PM

Due to the age of the home and the note from ma0641 I'd consider tearing out the steps, they are probably on their last leg anyway. You are not going to get into the corners or the risers very well with a belt snader so just replace.
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

May 9, 2011, 08:26 PM
    Are you going to repaint the steps? If so then just prime with a tinted oil based primer and paint using exterior enamel.

May 10, 2011, 06:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyg2 View Post
    Are you going to repaint the steps? If so then just prime with a tinted oil based primer and paint using exterior enamel.
    Thanks for the reply, I was going to use 2 coats of exterior primer with paint in one, and then 2 coats of satin polyurathane, what do you think

May 10, 2011, 06:44 AM
    Comment on iris1's post
    I would personally use an oil-based primer like Zinsser Cover Stain (stain blocker and bond coat)for interior/exterior. Poly doesn't hold up well outside and if you use a good exterior enamel like Behr in high gloss(looks more like a satin when applied) the steps should be good to go!

May 10, 2011, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iris1 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I was going to use 2 coats of exterior primer with paint in one, and then 2 coats of satin polyurathane, what do you think
    Thanks Patty, will do with the Zinser and enamel... 1 or 2 coats of enamel, then a quick question is the enamel slip resistant seeing as it's on the front steps of the house?
    Thanks
    Iris
    Uber Member

May 10, 2011, 02:51 PM
    Enamels are slippery because the coat is so smooth. You can add a fine sand additive but it abrades the paint too. pattyg2 is right. No poly on steps. Helmsman or OLY is great on wooden doors though.

May 10, 2011, 02:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Enamels are slippery because the coat is so smooth. You can add a fine sand additive but it abrades the paint too. pattyg2 is right. No poly on steps. Helmsman or OLY is great on wooden doors though.
    So what kind of paint would you suggest then for the steps, thought enamel might be too slippery
    Uber Member

May 10, 2011, 08:11 PM
    You can use an enamel, just not gloss. Primer and Satin would be my choice. Columns, trim and windows can be gloss.

May 11, 2011, 07:34 PM
    The Behr exterior enamel I used on my benches was gloss but it looks like satin and it isn't slippery when wet.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 12, 2011, 04:53 AM

There are abrasives you can sprinkle onto the still wet final coat to prevent slipping as well. Like a very fine sand.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the difference between Paint Stripper and Adhesive Remover [ 0 Answers ]

Assuming they both contain Methylene Chloride, or whatever it's called?

While painting a table top, I applied 2 coats of paint, then I noticed some dark stah [ 1 Answers ]

While painting a table top, I applied 2 coats of paint, then I noticed some dark stain spots showing through my paint... can I put a coat of kilz on it now and then put a third coat of my paint on it?

Two coats of paint for ceilings [ 8 Answers ]

If you charge 100.00 to paint a ceiling for one coat, how much should you charge for the second coat?

How to remove paint stripper residue spots from vinyl siding [ 8 Answers ]

I tried to strip the paint from my patio railing than is next to my vinyl siding. Of course, it didn't work and now I have spots of paint stripper on my vinyl siding. It was an environmentally safe product with no harsh chemicals. But, I want to get rid of the spots. Anyone got any ideas?

View more questions Search