Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CarlyTD Posts: 51, Reputation: 3

May 8, 2011, 07:44 AM
    Adding a light circuit
    Hi,

I am having a problem with a new light circuit that I am trying to install and am hoping someone with fresh eyes can tell me what I am doing wrong.

What I am trying to do is add two lights and a switch in my attic. I am adding a junction off an existing light circuit (only three lights on existing circuit). What I did was run the black through the switch box to the first light and then the black from the first to the second light. I have the white connected to the switch and then running to the first light and then the second light. When I hooked it up and turned the breaker back on it tripped the breaker. So I disconnected the white and black to the second light (left just the switch and first light) and it worked fine.

Do I have my connections wrong (White-Switch-White-Light1-Light2 Black-Light1-Light2)?

I appreciate any input...
    Attached Images

donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 8, 2011, 08:26 AM

Carly,

Switches do not use Neutral (White) except when the White is the feed from a supply.

Where ever you are pulling your source from (Junction Box?)

The white should just pass through the switch box, o route to the light's white.

Black would be the switched leg.

If you are using a simple snap switch, you will see the words "On and Off" on the switch. Hint, if you see the "nO", the switch is upside down.

You route the Black from the junction box to the bottom of the properly orientated switch. Then connect the other side of the black to the top screw.

Now connect the Black to the light fixture's black and the white to the light fixture's white. Continue to the next light fixture.
    Kyle_in_rure Posts: 341, Reputation: 10

May 8, 2011, 03:19 PM
    Although connecting the white wires to the switch is incorrect, that shouldn't be causing the breaker to trip. Also make sure (in this case) that no black and white wires are crossed and that (in regards to the light fixtures) that you have black wires connected to brass screws and white wires to the silver screws. Hope this helped.
    CarlyTD Posts: 51, Reputation: 3

May 9, 2011, 05:25 AM
    Thank you both very much for the response. I switched the white for the black in the switch. I also (looking back not very smart of me) attached the two black wires in the first light to the brass and the two white to the silver. I'm guessing that when I pushed the fitting in, one of the connections crossed or came loose, because when I pigtailed the first light making a cleaner connection, it worked great.

I appreciate the help...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a light kit to ceiling fan w/ light & dimmer switch [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to add a light kit to a ceiling fan(cannot find a name on it) that is currently hooked and working up in our family room - since we moved in 6 years ago (house was built in 1991). I would like this to operate like our bedroom ceiling fan (which already has a light attached) and...

Adding lights to existing exterior light circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I have a light fixture that is flush mounted in the ceiling of an exterior porch, I would like to add two more twin bulb floodlights switched by the existing switch if this is okay to do. If so can I run wiring from the current fixture through conduit along the undersides of the eaves, and if so...

Adding a new circuit [ 2 Answers ]

I Would Like To Add A New Circuit And Some Outlets To An Outside Workbench And Do Not Know What Size Breaker Or Breakers I Need To Start This Project,so Here Is A Layout Of My Plans.I Would Like To Have Four Outlets To Run Off A Single Gfci Outlet,also Would Like To Hardwire In An Air Compressor...

Adding a circuit [ 3 Answers ]

I'm finishing a basement and think it's best to start fresh with a new circuit for a room we're building. There is a spare circuit breaker already in the panel (30 amps), so I suppose I could just run the 12 gauge wire from it (no need to change to 20 amp breaker?). Also, how many more 20 amp...

Adding a new circuit? [ 13 Answers ]

Hello, I am in the process of adding a basement bathroom and I have a couple of questions about the wiring. I plan to have a wall mounted light over the vanity, fed from a gfci outlet also at the vanity. I am going to have a ceiling fan/light as well as a shower light. I do have room in the panel...

View more questions Search