Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Meow98 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2011, 04:57 AM
    Sickness for floating fish?
    Umm... I have about 40 parrot fishes in my tank and recently, I have noticed 2 of the fishes floating with its belly near the water surface. What's the cause of this illness?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 8, 2011, 06:05 AM

There is no way for us to know. Have you had the water professionally tested?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 8, 2011, 06:16 AM
    Chances are they are going to die, and you should put them in a small container of their own, and take to a pet store. Many diseases are communicable. Do you see any little white spots?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2011, 12:32 PM

Sounds like their swim bladder burst...

This is treatable if they haven't been allowed to float like this for too long. A swim bladder infection is similar to a UTI in humans.

Put them in a separate tank and crank the heat up to about 80-85, add salt and get antibiotics for them. Parrotfish, because they are mutt fish, have this problem quite often. It is a result of a dirty tank or over crouded tank. Parrots get pretty large, so I'm hoping that you don't have too many crammed into one place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My fish is floating upside down a lot [ 10 Answers ]

About a month ago I noticed that my sucker fish started floating upside down a lot. I almost thought he was dead but when I tapped the tank he moved. He has been doing this amost all of the time lately. He is about 5 1/2 - 6 years old. Is it just that he is getting older or is there something...

Floating fish [ 16 Answers ]

I have 6 goldfish in a 30gallon aquarium for 3yrs now. They eat floating pellets. I noticed over the couple days that one fish is swimming with its tail towards the top (almost fighting to stay down). Yesterday morning I thought it wa sdead as it was at the top of the water belly up. I went to...

Fish Floating At The Top Not Dead though what's Wrong? [ 3 Answers ]

My fish keeps on going up to the top of the tank and staying there.I think I've read somewhere that they do this when there over fed but I'm not sure.It acts like it needs to breath fresh air instead of water. It just floats at the top and then dives back down its head is allways pointing up like...

Floating Miniature Puffer Fish [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 5 gallon Eclipse Biofilter aquarium with two mini Puffers (Tetraoadon Travancorius)in it. I bought the fish three weeks ago. Two weeks ago I did my first 10% water change and the larger fish immediately started having trouble swimming and spent a great deal of time floating upside...

View more questions Search