Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pnaik1980 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2011, 10:19 PM
    Install windows xp in HCL laptop AE1V0973
    I want to install windows xp in HCL laptop AE1V0973. Prsntly windows 7 basic is insatlled. I was trying to install windows xp but it is gets stuck saying setup is starting windows after that nothing happens.. I am booting with genuine windows xp cd. Cd gets detected and starts its first procedure but at one poing it gets stuck in "setup is starting windwos".. please help me
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

May 8, 2011, 04:53 PM

Installing old operating systems on current hardware may require creating a setup disc that includes drivers and service packs to properly recognize the hardware during text mode setup. Failure to recognize newer storage controllers is a common issue. These drivers can be added during setup by hitting F6 and supplying a driver disk when prompted. There are also several knowledge-base articles at Microsoft Support for situations resulting in setup hanging. Search for "Windows XP setup hangs." Disabling unneeded hardware until after setup finishes may also avoid complications and allow setup to complete.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 8, 2011, 05:03 PM

It is very probable that there are no XP drivers for the hardware. Why do you want to downgrade?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 14, 2011, 06:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    It is very probable that there are no XP drivers for the hardware. Why do you want to downgrade?
    I agree. Many newer units are using SATA where with XP it wasn't such a big issue it now is. If your install cd/dvd is back from xp(sp1) then that is where the problems may be. Also did you wipe the drive clean before you tried to install ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to install Windows XP on freedos HCL laptop [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a HCL laptop with freedos environment.I have a genuine windows XP cd and I want to install XP on my laptop.. but don't understand what to do... :( please help me out.. When the laptop starts it shows a dos prompt like this... C:/> Even if I put d CD in the drive it doesn't...

I am not happy with windows 7 and I want 2 re install,and I'm not able 2 install ? [ 4 Answers ]

Iam using Acer emachines725 installed windows 7 I'm not happy with windows 7,and I want 2 install windows xp... but I'm not able to istall through cd drive... becoz my drive is not reading discs properly,even thought it reads,the messag ei get your already using advanced version of windows you...

Can I use dell laptop windows on lenovo laptop? [ 3 Answers ]

My brother purchased dell laptop.he got a windows 7 with it.he installed it on his dell lap top.I want to install win 7 on my ibm lenovo laptop also. Can I install it?what about the cd key?

Hcl laptop not installing the os xp [ 1 Answers ]

Os xp is not installing the os enter to continue but F3 quit is coming

View more questions Search