Ask
    lynnerd38 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Dog eats poop
    My puppie eats her own poop how do I stop it
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2007, 08:56 PM
    One way is to clean it up before she gets to it. That is kind of a pain this time of the year. You can try food additives, a little pineapple juice or canned pumpkin added to her food. There are also commercial products Deter and Forbid. Fortunately it doesn't hurt the dog as much as your stomach.

Be sure and check the sticky at the top of the dog forum for other helpful information.
    cmayko Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Apr 20, 2007, 07:32 PM
    O.K my dog eats her poop too She started at 5 months and I believe it is because she has EPI endocrine pancreatic insufficient... she does not digest her food with out an enzyme. I think she developed it when her poo smelled like food. Now, gulp, she has developed a taste for it but she does not do it all the time and not predictably I stand with her and keep her from doing it and that is not possible every time. I have tried the additives and even sprinkling bad tasting stuff on it. Nothing has worked. She is a German Shepherd she is my 3rd and the 2 I had before also were poo eaters I have been told it is very common with European breeds. I am considering an "e collar" all thoughts welcome, thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2007, 08:03 PM
    Yeah, 5 months, about when many of mine start. I don't see how an e collar would help. I really struggled with the one Shepherd I had. Many of the Labs I have had would let it mellow giving me a chance to clean it up. If I wasn't careful, Gretchen would turn around and eat it as soon as it hit the ground. Worse yet her favorite spot was in the garden where I had leaves piled. Try finding it in a pile of leaves.

For however disgusting you find it, it doesn't seem to hurt the dog much.
    cmayko Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Apr 20, 2007, 08:16 PM
    Until they puke it up in the car an hour from home. I really thought I would have to throw the seat away. I was hoping that if I could catch her going for the gusto, I would shock her. Like I said sometime she turns around after and goes for it other times she nibbles it cold. I watch her she will actually act repulsed by it at times and other times you would think it was on a cracker. I still think it is diet related it must smell like food I have also heard it is a female thing. I can't stand it. Has anyone found something that works??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dog is too thin and eats very little [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I have 4 dogs, 2 of which are Jindo's brother & sister(15 months old). Lucy got off her leash last Monday and by the grace of god found her way back home 2 days later, which I think explains the 5 lbs drop in her weight to 30 lbs. The problem is, at her original weight of 35lbs she was too...

My red long haired mini daschund eats her poop [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My almost 8 month mini eats her poop. I have tried Fobid & meat tenderizer and they have not seems to work. My vet told me not to worry about parasites since she is on heartworm preventative. I try to monitor her bowel habits by taking her out on the leash that helps because I can pick it...

Dog will not pee or poop outside [ 1 Answers ]

I just adopted a 2 year old greyhound terrier mix from the kennel four weeks ago. The kennel said that he was an inside dog. The problem is getting him to go to potty outside. He seems to be shy about peeing and pooping. I have taking him for a two hour walk through the park and around the block...

Dog Poop on Lawns/Shrubbery Beds [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a residential community where people just simply refuse to pick up after their dogs. So my lawn, from time to time, has some dog poop on it. Is there some product that will repel the dogs so they stay away from my lawn + shrubs - yet, won't harm them or the lawn/shrubs + not need to...

Dog Poop "Schedule" [ 5 Answers ]

Hi again, Yet another pooping question... my dog (year old lab mix) always has to poop A LOT in the morning. Sometimes he squats 3-5 times! Is this normal? The poop is relatively normal looking--I was also the person asking questions about the Nutro food. You said this can produce large, loose...

View more questions Search