Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mishail82 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 06:51 PM
    My 4 year old's father isn't around, how do I tell her why?
    My daughter was born in 2002 and from the start her father wanted nothing to do with us because he felt as though she was not his. In 2003 I met this great guy who accepted me and my daughter with open arms. We recently ended our relationship in the summer of 2006 which is also the time when I moved in with my sister, her fiancé and their 2 kids (which her fiancé is the father of both). My neice's are always playing with their father and doing father daughter things together and my little 4 year old is watching all of this. So one day my niece starts to inquire about my 4 year old's father which inturn is causing my daughter to ask the same question. She believes that the guy who I was in the 3 year relationship is her father, what do I say to her at such a young age?:confused:
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2007, 02:35 PM
    Mischail, this is definitely not an easy situation and I feel for you. Did your daughter call your boyfriend Daddy? Is there any possibility of contact with him? Did it end because of differences between the two of you or because of something involving your daughter? If it didn't involve your daughter, did he express any love for her at the time you were together? Does he have any interest in remaining in her life for a while as a father figure? This would be the best solution for now and could make it a bit easier for her to transition if he was willing to see her once in a while. At 4, it is a little early to explain the biological father issue when she doesn't even know about the birds and the bees yet. Children that young cannot comprehend such complicated issues. You don't have to lie to her because she already assumes your old boyfriend is her father. If he is unwilling or unable to be involved, at least a couple of times, then you probably should just tell her that "Daddy" needed to be on his own for a while. Explain that sometimes Mommies and Daddies don't always get along and need their own quiet time. At that point, if your sister's boyfriend is kind enough to include her when he plays with his own daughters, you will find that she will soon stop asking the questions. And, your sister should really instruct her daughters not to ask your daughter questions about her Daddy. No further explanation is needed to them, or else they may ask or say something else to your daughter that will trigger more questions. Eventually, when she is a little older and can comprehend things better, you can have a truthful sit down with her when she asks about her father.

I hope this helps. All the best,.
    valarierife Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2011, 09:50 PM
    I think that the man who is around
    Should be considered her father
    If he treats you both well.
    But, when she is older, please tell her.
    Im 15, and I still have no idea who
    My real father is. It hurts. So,
    Tell her when she is mature enough to
    Understand. (:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

Father died last year; how do I find his assets? [ 3 Answers ]

My father died last July 2006. He was born in Brazil, but was a citizen of the U.S. and was a doctor here for 35 years. He retired, remarried, and moved back to Brazil in 1993. He died without a will. My stepmother claims that he died with no money. I believe he did have a significant amount...

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

6th Year F1, Converted to H-1B last year [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE, Thank you so much for everything you have done for all of us. I really really appreciate your help and advice. You are THE man! My case is like that: I came to US on F1 in 08/2000, and had been on F1 until I got my H-1B visa on Nov. 1st last year. From last May to last Oct. I...

My16 year old doesn't know her father [ 2 Answers ]

The other day me and my daughter went to court over a settlement case and she couldn't get her money due to the fact I didn't have proof of cousty, her father and I were never married and he just up and left. The money isn't the deal, she asked if I could find him and I did. Now he woun't give up...

View more questions Search