Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arjunair86 Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2011, 06:39 PM
    Desktop error
    The problem is that whenever I try to save something in desktop,an error occurs telling "Please insert a DVD RW drive(H)".Also while browsing through desktop,the same error is displayed.
    For example-If I am using Photoshop and want to open pics which are in desktop,I can't go there directly.I have go through the longer way(C-Users-User-Desktop)
    What can I do??
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

May 7, 2011, 09:10 AM
    Sounds like you once copied your desktop pics to a cd or dvd and that path (H) was written to the registry so when you try and use it the registry defaults the old path of H. If you have a registry cleaner like the one in tuneup utilities you can try cleaning the registry and it may remove that entry. Also you can try looking in Photoshops settings or preferences for where it has default paths and remove the one that points to H.

May 7, 2011, 05:56 PM
    Thanks for the instant answer.I will try doing it.

May 8, 2011, 06:25 PM
    Comment on Appzalien's post
    Unfortunately,it didn't work. I tried everything I could. I even used ccleaner to check the registry and repair it but there was no change.

May 9, 2011, 08:44 AM
    OK but would you clarify something for me. You keep referring to desktop, and its sounds almost like your referring to a folder called desktop and not "the desktop". The Desktop is what shows when nothings open, it has your screens background image and task bar at the bottom with the clock in the corner. Is that the desktop your referring to or have you created a folder called desktop somewhere. Saving individual photos to the desktop can fill your screen with icons pretty fast, that's why I ask.

May 9, 2011, 05:43 PM
    Of Course!! I am talking about the Desktop which shows when nothings open, it has your screens background image and task bar at the bottom with the clock in the corner.
    Actually the error is "Please insert a disk in DVD RW Drive(H)".
    And the "Photoshop" was just the example.
    I am using Win 7 and in the Computer where all drives are shown,there is side(left)tree view of all the drives and other stuff which includes desktop.When I click on desktop,the error occurs.

May 11, 2011, 06:26 AM
    Did you ever copy the desktop to an RW re-writable disk? Maybe if you did a cut and paste instead of copy paste, the system thinks you moved the desktop. S it's possible the location of Desktop ended up changed in the registry and it's looking for the RW in H drive. You can try searching the registry for the word Desktop and see what comes up. Start your search (find) from the very top entry in the registry and keep hitting "find next" and look on the right for any paths that point to H. Don't delete anything just look. It's most likely you will need to change the entry not delete it. Tell me if you find anything.

May 11, 2011, 06:25 PM
    OK, I will do what you told. But today when I went to desktop(with the hidden files visible), there were two files named desktop.ini.
    In one of them it was written"
    [.ShellClassInfo]
    LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell 32.dll,-21799
    [LocalizedFileNames]
    Norton AntiVirus.lnk=@C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~2\Branding\muis. dll,-101"

And in other"[.ShellClassInfo]
    LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell 32.dll,-21769
    IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-183"

Do you think something's wrong here?

May 12, 2011, 11:26 AM
    No, both Win7 and Vista have those two ini files on the desktop. A lot of people complained but MS says they are necessary. I tried deleteing them and putting them in a folder and the OS just kept recreating them, so you should leave them alone. Why they couldn't make them invisible is beyond me, they're probably some sort of sneaky spyware they do not want you to know about. Can you tell I do not trust MS?

May 13, 2011, 07:54 AM
    You will like this link:http://www.vancouversun.com/business/technology/Google+launches+Chrome+takes+Microsoft/4771310/story.html

May 13, 2011, 07:54 AM
    OK after reading that,spread some light on my problem

May 13, 2011, 08:01 AM
    Well,I didn't get you. "Why they couldn't make them invisible is beyond me"
    Did you mean that "Why we are not able to get rid of those files."
    Perhaps I don't know anything about it.But we should not misunderstand anything.

May 13, 2011, 08:08 AM
    I? Checked the registry but there were many many (Desktop)named keys and I couldn't go through each.
    But may be I missed something and so, I will check it once again.
    Any other method??

May 13, 2011, 08:16 PM
    It will be frustrating. All I can tell you is to keep hitting "find Next" and then look on the right for any paths and if you see none hit find next and keep going. Or try to limit your search by typing more of what you see in the error. If you see a path on the right then stop and examine it for any reference to drive H and then go on if not. It may be futile, I don't know. Your description of the problem is not clear to me, "Sounds like" as I said at first is just that, "sounds like", I definitely don't know your issue. Your description of it makes no sense, no one saves a bunch of photos to the desktop, and opening things or loading stuff from the desktop makes no sense, its just a bunch of shortcut icons unless you put something there. I open any desktop stuff I have from the desktop, I never even though about pening desktop items from within Windows Explorer (which is what I assume causes the error).

As for the ini files. What I read was that they contain information relative to the desktop, like icon position or what clock or weather app to launch on the desktop. Lots of people like to fill their desktop with widgits. The fact that they show on the desktop is what makes no sense, they didn't have to make them visible icons to save the data. Then having done so they put them on the desktop and start your clutter before you even load a thing. There's no figuring MS out. It sometimes seems like they're trying to irritate users on purpose.
    infoguy Posts: 108, Reputation: 8

May 17, 2011, 07:41 PM

If you know when the error occurred, and you had System Restore enabled before that time, you could try using the System Restore Wizard to restore your computer to the situation it was in before the problem was evident. For safety, set an "undo point" in System Restore before you reverting to the older date, in case you don't like the results.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to fix a 1796 SATA cabling error on a desktop? [ 1 Answers ]

Just a quick question.

Error message on desktop [ 1 Answers ]

"Your computer has several fatal errors due to spyware activity"... this message is on my desktop. I have AVG and SPYBOT running completely updated. I try to remove the "defaulT" from the display but it keeps returning. Help

Error in script (active desktop) [ 1 Answers ]

Error Message An error has occurred in the script on this page Line: 65 Char: 1 Error: Object doesn’t support this action Code: 0

Remote Desktop Connection Error [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys, I tried every direction. I have a client PC using win2k, trying to access a win2k server using remote deskop. Only this client is having trouble, so it's not the server. The client is using Remote Desktop Connection to connect this server, receives "unknown network error", while...

View more questions Search