Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    billydale522 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2011, 05:10 AM
    70x66 land if i don't pay the land taxes what's the worse can happen.sale.put len on my
    bought apeice of land 70x66 in back taxes for 800.00 after the sale the town police took my wife to the town attorny and they told her she owed for a demaltion of a building on the grounds.3000.00 this was not mention at the sale buy the sherriff.if I don't pay this what's the worse can happen.can they put a len on my house.or?? or can I give this land to some body and they file bankrupt on this land... or would this be INTRAPPMENT BY THE TOWN (LAWSUET MAYBE)
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 6, 2011, 05:27 AM
    Ouch. But not enough information about the demolition - when was it done, by whom, and why wasn't it disclosed at the tax sale by the town? Was it an auction, or did you go through a real estate broker?

You can't file bankruptcy on a piece of land, only on oneself, and entrapment isn't the right legal term for this. You may have signed something saying you had to do due diligence on other liens than the tax one, in which case you are plain out of luck. That could have been a simple matter of walking into town hall and asking for the record of liens, which ANY property owner should do. So do that now. If you want to consult a lawyer just to see if you even have a case, gather your information on paper before doing so.
    current pert

May 6, 2011, 05:31 AM
    When I say 'do that now' I mean to see if you even have a case, because if the lien was recorded (and it probably was) you are out of luck. Is 3,800 a reasonable price for that lot? It would be in many areas. Try to sell if for 3,800 while you figure out how to come up with the 3,000.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 6, 2011, 06:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    ... Try to sell if for 3,800 while you figure out how to come up with the 3,000.
    Huh? Why would it happen to be worth exactly the amount claimed for the demolition plus the amount OP paid for it?

Billydale522 didn't say what state he/she is in, but normally the $3,000 the town claims for the demolition would not be a personal liability of the new owner. In other words, if the town indeed has a valid lien for the demolition, they could only enforce that lien against the land. They would sell the land and credit the proceeds against the demolition bill. Billydale522 would not be personally liable, and would not owe a deficiency.
    current pert

May 6, 2011, 09:34 AM
    I didn't mean to suggest that the land is worth 3800, only that he should try to sell it and not take a loss.
    And I assume that he doesn't want to lose both his 800 and the land.
    Expert

May 6, 2011, 09:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I didn't mean to suggest that the land is worth 3800, only that he should try to sell it and not take a loss.
    And I assume that he doesn't want to lose both his 800 and the land.
    Unless it somehow became a personal liability, he could sell it for $800 (plus costs) without selling it at a loss.

But of course in that event the buyer should be informed of the lien, and would take it subject to the lien. Obviously, it doesn't make much sense to buy property worth $800 subject to such a lien. It would have to have an intrinsic value of at least $3,800 for such a deal to work.

Either that, or negotiate with the town, and whittle down the lien pay-off amount, so as to keep the property on the tax rolls.
    billydale522 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2011, 11:26 AM
    More info on 70x66
    The building was still on lot when she bought it for 800.00 after they told her that she owed another 3000.00 she told the attorny that she did not want the land and told the county sheriff she didn't want it cause of the 3000.00 demo.cause this was not brought up at the auction by the county sheriff that sold the ground.just after she bought it they broke the news.ohio is suppose to have a new law that they don't have to tell the buyers that something like this tell sold.so they new it but wouldn't tell it before auction.so in my eyes they suckerd her in to the debt of the town.for they wouldn't have to pay for it.we check at the court house to see what was old on taxes and was 1500.00 that was it nothing about a demo of 3000.00.so can I go back and sue the town for not desclosing thjis before the auction
    Expert

May 6, 2011, 12:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by billydale522 View Post
    The building was still on lot when she bought it for 800.00 after they told her that she owed another 3000.00 ...
    They demolished the building after she bought it? Why? Had it been condemned as being unsafe or something? Did they give her notice of the impending demolition after she bought it and before they actually put the wrecking ball to it?

Quote Originally Posted by billydale522 View Post
    ... so can i go back and sue the town for not desclosing thjis before the auction
    I don't think so. If the town demolished it without notice to her, she might be able to sue the town for demolishing the building without her consent. Or to remove the cloud on title caused by their claim of lien. But you don't have standing to sue anyone, as far as I can see.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parents deeded land to children before their death, tax consequence upon sale of land [ 1 Answers ]

What is tax consequentce on sale of land that was deeded to children before death of parents (now deceased)

Parent dies intestate. Land. 2 daughters. 1 only can pay taxes. What then? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi ! If a parent dies intestate and leaves land... and maybe some small monies. And the 2 daughters have historical conflict for years, and do not speak. 1 daughter completely in poverty. Other daughter can pay taxes on land That is left. Does it go to probate?. in state land is in? Or into...

What do I pay in taxes on land sold that was given to me after both parents died? [ 5 Answers ]

Both parents are deceased. Property was left to the four of us Mom died 9 years ago. We just sold last year. What taxes do I pay?

View more questions Search