Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

May 5, 2011, 11:58 AM
    Car was in an accident, I wasn't the driver...
    My boyfriend borrowed my car this morning to go to a job interview and was in an accident. He was stopped at the light and the other driver was looking in his rearview thinking the car behind him was going to hit him, and then hit my car because he wasn't paying attention. My boyfriend said that the bumper wasn't crunched, just the indent of the other driver's license plate and screws.

The other driver didn't have insurance, but I have full coverage on my car. My boyfriend said that his neck hurts a little bit when I asked him if he was OK. The other driver got a ticket ($1000) for following too close, no insurance and having beer in the car.

So my question is this: should I call my insurance company and report it?

I have a $500 deductible, and my car is already scheduled to be repainted and everything buffed out of it. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 5, 2011, 12:03 PM

Yes, your insurance company should be called. Your friend may have bodily injuries and need medical care, and that should be paid by the other driver. Your company will make sure all the t's are crossed and I's dotted.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 8, 2011, 09:32 AM

I will slightly disagree with my friend and colleague - respectfully slightly disagree.

I would call my insurance AGENT (if you use an agent) and put that person on notice. If you have a good relationship with the agent he/she will make a note of your call and hold the info pending any additional action involving the accident. That way it is not reported to the company. Some companies will raise your premium no matter WHO was at fault. My late husband's premium went up based on a hit and run in a parking lot when we were not in the car.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 8, 2011, 09:41 AM

Judy is correct. When I said "call the company," I didn't think to specify "agent." To me, doing that would be calling "the company" (and not my mother or a lawyer).
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 8, 2011, 09:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Judy is correct. When I said "call the company," I didn't think to specify "agent." To me, doing that would be calling "the company" (and not my mother or a lawyer).

I do a lot of accident investigations and people who deal directly with the company may get less expensive insurance BUT if there is any type of accident they have no choice but to report it the company.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 8, 2011, 10:00 AM

You can sue the other driver for your expenses. But the likelihood is they don't have money (otherwise they would have had insurance) and while you should win, it will be difficult to collect.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Car accident, insuranced car with non-covered driver, other driver injured, suing... [ 2 Answers ]

I got into a car accident in a intersection with stop sign on my side. I stopped at the stop sign, checked left and right and then tried to pass the avenue but unluckily got hit by another female driver. My car (my girlfriend's actually) turned 180 degrees the opposite side after the accident. I...

Car accident -driver in front put her car in reverse and smashed me [ 2 Answers ]

I was sitting in my car at a red light. Traffic was heavy-ish. Suddenly- very suddenly and out of nowhere my car and the car in front of me collided with an enormous impact. I was stunned. I was shocked and confused. Prior to impact my car was absolutely stationary! My chest area ( heart) ,...

At fault car accident, other driver no insurance [ 8 Answers ]

I was parked along a curb and was pulling out into the street. I hit a car that came up along side me. My front/side bumper hit the side of her car (passenger side) towards the back. Clearly this was my fault. She was driving without insurance and didn't want the police called. I offered to give...

My fault accident, the other driver laid about no of people in the car [ 9 Answers ]

I had a car crash 1.5 years ago. IN THE OTHER CAR WAS JUST ONE PERSON -THE DRIVER.

Car accident againts a driver who has no license and uninsured. [ 3 Answers ]

I got in a car accident against a driver who has no license and uninsured. The accident happened when I ran a yellow in an intersection and I got hit on my right my car. Five months later I got a call from my insurance company that just told me that I can't win the case anymore for the fact that...

View more questions Search