Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hewitt Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Military Service
    Hey guys, I'm new to this board and thought I would just ask your advice if that's OK?
    I'm currently 20 years old and I have had enough with civilian life, I need something more and have decided to join the British Royal Marines as a standard commando, I've thought a lot about it and I don't care how much it hurts, or how badly I get treated or how much I want to quit... I know I won't, I'll do my best to keep my head down and get the job done.
    Anyway I'd just like to ask anyone who has been in the royal marines or any other military branch, what marine life is like, and what the training is like, and if anyone has any advice for me on the subject.

Thanks in advance guys,
    -Hewitt
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 25, 2007, 05:52 PM
    Of course it is obvoius from my photo I have not seen active service in a few years ( or more) but it can be just as bad as you can dream but as wonderful as you can dream also. There is a team and closeness you get with your fellow soldiers. And the people over you know to what point to push you.

If you want it more than anything else, that is what it takes.
    CMale Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 05:55 PM
    Well I don't know if I can answer your question appropriately, but I'll give my honest opinion on it. I am not a marine, but I am in the Canadian armed forces. I can start by saying that if it is what you want to do and think that it will make you happy, then go for it. Nothing like doing something you like and want to do. Military life isn't always easy though. You're rarely home ( in my case anyway), the military downright owns you, and when hits the fan, well you go. Its satisfying in a lot of ways though. Beside, you'll be in the best shape ever and you'll get paid to be in that shape.
    MilitaryMan19D30 Posts: 29, Reputation: 5

Apr 3, 2007, 09:48 AM
    :D I love being in the United States Army.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 3, 2007, 09:54 AM
    It's actually fun, (you get to blow up stuff) just don't let the sergeants get you down, they are really no different than you, they just have been in longer. Work hard in basic stay focused, don't get hurt and it will be great. My advice though do everything you can to go in at a higher level, even if you have to wait awhile. If you have a girlfriend dump her right before you leave, other wise it will drive you crazy.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 3, 2007, 09:57 AM
    Oh yeah if you want some awsome reading, (take some books with you) before you leave read the Sharp series by Bernard Cornwell they are awsome. Actually all his books are .
    Guppy Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Apr 6, 2007, 06:40 PM
    I'm in the united states navy special ops and it is hard, it's a physical and mental challenge but it is well worthi it in the end, it changed my life.
    jasondbel Posts: 165, Reputation: -6

Jan 25, 2008, 09:59 PM
    Comment on Guppy's post
    I agree
    hjpan Posts: 902, Reputation: 29

Mar 7, 2008, 04:12 AM
    Your instructors will make you feel so bad about yourself... they eat you raw.

Then, spit you out and make you stronger
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Mar 7, 2008, 07:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppy
    im in the united states navy special ops and it is hard, its a physical and mental challenge but it is well worthi it in the end, it changed my life.
    This is true. I have been in for over 12 years and still going. I have done more then you could shake a stick at. I have been all over the world. I will say that you will be pushed to your braking point. You will feel like you are not cut out for this type of work. It's all mental and physical. Strive hard and keep your goals sting. Never lit it down. If your cut out for it be prepared to challenge all your fears like heights, enclosed spaces, water and being in the dark. It might sound easy. But trust me it's not. I have worked with the Navy seals, special forces, swat, and the list is endless. I really can't disclose my occupation as a hole for it's agents or rules and regulations. But if anyone has done any thing that I just mentioned they would agree. Rule of thumb, Never quit and head on with a clear mind. Fight hard and you will do fine. Don't forget that when you do hell week you will notice your group of 40 will turn into 12 in a few days. This is no joke. Hope I helped and Pro Patria.
    For you enlisted people out there. Deeds, not words.
    Strength89 Posts: 72, Reputation: 24

May 5, 2010, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
    im in the united states navy special ops and it is hard, its a physical and mental challenge but it is well worthi it in the end, it changed my life.
    What kind of special ops are you in? SEAL? VBSS?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Military abandonment [ 3 Answers ]

I am a military wife and mother of 5,4of my children being with my husband. We separated in may when he left he took everything money and transportation. I need to know where to start for help because every place I've tried isn't helping us. And now the system says that because he is leaving 1 day...

Changing from metered service on my shop to service from my house. [ 2 Answers ]

I’ve had the meter and 3 wire service cable removed from my shop. I’ve purchased 90 feet of 100 amp direct burial cable to run from the lower section of my home meter to my shop. Not being an electrician, I’m still trying to install this changeover. The direct burial cable has 4 wires. 2 larger...

Military wedding [ 9 Answers ]

I'm not engaged yet, I'm getting the ring on his next leave ( one month).. but however he wants to get married with in like 3-4 months, where as I wanted to get married in about 9-12.. how ever that is changing.. I'd marry him tomorrow if I could. I want a simple wedding, I don't need anything...

View more questions Search