Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

May 5, 2011, 08:09 AM
    Do not celebrate the deat of OBL. He too was human.
    "We should not celebrate the death of OBL because he too was human. We did not know him, we did not ever talk to him."

This is a paraphrase from a social networking status of a friend of my wife's... I talked about this to a few of my co-workers and surprisingly I got mixed opinions.

What is your opinion?

Is it wrong to celebrate the death of a human life? Even if; IMO, he deserved it?

NOTE:I realize there is a similiar thread about this but this is specifically about celebrating vs not celebrating the death of OBL or human life in general.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2011, 08:18 AM

This is not a question that would've been asked in the 1940s.

Here are the lyrics of an Irving Berlin song played by the Glenn Miller Band sung by Al Bowlly.

When that man is dead and gone
    We'll go dancing down the street
    Kissing everyone we meet

What a day to wake up on
    What a way to greet the dawn
    Some fine day the news'll flash
    Satan with a small moustache
    Is asleep beneath the lawn

Satan, Satan, thought up a plan
    Dressed as a man
    Walking the earth and since he began
    The world is hell for you and me
    But what a heaven it will be

When they lay him twelve feet deep
    I'll be there to laugh, not weep

What a day to wake up on
    Satan'll take him by the hand
    To meet old Gerring, look what, man

Some fine day the news'll flash
    Satan with a small moustache
    Is asleep beneath the lawn

What a day to wake up on
    When a certain man is dead and gone
    As a side note... Al Bowlly never got to see that day. He died in the London Blitz.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2011, 08:18 AM

I sort of got into it with my sister-in-law on FB about this issue. Personally I do not celebrate an evil man going to meet his maker. I do celebrate that justice was done. My son ran into my bedroom when the news broke and we high fived and did a silly dance. Not because he was shot in the head, but because of the victory of getting him. Haven't we been trying to for the last 10 years? HELLO?

I am passionate about this. I think Americans over think this stuff. I'm not a real big politically correct gal. I say what I think right or wrong. I wasn't here when Hitler was defeated and killed himself and we won WW II. BUT they kissed and celebrated in the streets and it was RIGHT to do it. Why not celebrate when evil is defeated and one of our missions in the war accomplished? I don't know what all the hoopla is about. I rejoice. If that is insensitive... well, I've been called worse.
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2011, 08:22 AM

Classy good points .

Another point related . Hitler killed himself and he was cremated . Nobody saw the photos yet no one questions his demise .

His chared bones were scattered to locations undisclosed. The reason for this was so a shrine could not be built for him by the Hitler cult.
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2011, 08:28 AM

Tom,

Yeah we've come a long way baby... and I'm not sure it is the right way.
    Networking Expert

May 5, 2011, 08:36 AM

I have no problem in celebrating the death of such an evil man. If given the chance, I would have put that bullet in his head (and I wouldn't have given him the chance to surrender).

Does this mean the war is over, or that this is a voctory for America? No. This is a step toward a mission completeness and the worst, I think, is yet to come.

The opposing opinions were that human life should be valued regardless of the individual. That every human has a purpose, whether this was good or bad seemed irrelevant, but who are we to say what is good or bad?

Is might right?

According to the Bible, though shall not kill.
    According to the Qu`ran, kill the infadels. So in his eyes, he was right. In our's he was wrong.

Again, is might right?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 5, 2011, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ITstudent2006 View Post
    Is it wrong to celebrate the death of a human life? Even if; IMO, he deserved it?
    Hello Rick:

Yes, it is. You'd think people who purportedly are "pro life" would think so too... But, you'd be wrong..

I've seen the enemy burn the corps's of our boys and drag them through the streets... We're NOT like them. At least, I'M not like them. Plus, I'm a warrior. I can't believe any warrior celebrates the death of his enemy.

excon

PS> (edited) Oh, I'da killed him too, not because I hated him, but because it was my job. I would NOT have celebrated it.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2011, 08:45 AM

I don't think we should celebrate. Don't get me wrong he deserved to die but terrorism is not going to end, and the "wars" aren't over. Like Classy said when Hitler Killed himself that pretty much ended WWII that was a reason to celebrate but this is yeah Im happy but it doesn't change anything really.
    BMI Posts: 892, Reputation: 270

May 5, 2011, 08:52 AM

The Bible goes further than just 'Thou shalt not kill'.

I think it's wrong to celebrate his death. I understand the reaction but I do not think it is morally good.

As Ex pointed out, the pictures of Americans being killed was deplorable, so was the scenes across America this week. Such hypocrisy and celebration over the loss of life.

We are not the judges, friends.

To quote the Bunk (from the wire): Makes me sick, mother******, how far we done fell.
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2011, 09:11 AM

The bible actually if translated properly says.. Thou shall do no murder.

America is in a war with cowards who won't stand up and fight. They attack us when we least expect it and hide behind women, children if it can save their hides. I do NOT consider the killing of Osama MURDER. He led the attack on America, HE murdered. We killed him in a WAR on terror. Go USA.

Well, anyway lets please get the Bible translated properly anyway. Thou shall do no murder. Sometimes it is appropriate to kill. We are in a WAR.
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2011, 09:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Rick:

Yes, it is. You'd think people who purportedly are "pro life" would think so too.... But, you'd be wrong..
    The MURDER of innocent life and the killing of an evil man that wanted to do us all harm... big difference. I haven't LEARNED you a thing on this site Ex. UGH... shaking my head. Tsk tsk
    Uber Member

May 5, 2011, 09:20 AM

Hello T:

This isn't about killing... It's about celebrating it.

excon
    BMI Posts: 892, Reputation: 270

May 5, 2011, 09:31 AM

Well ClassyT,

I'm not sure which Bible you own but I'm almost certain you're translation (and almost positive your interpretation) is incorrect. Perhaps since the Bible pre-dates the creation of the word.

Nevetheless, I cannot disagree more with your reasons for killing, murder, whatever, or justification for celebrating.

Where do you get this hiding behind women, children, etc. stuff from? Or that 'they' are all cowards?

Do you work for Fox News?
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2011, 09:39 AM

Ex,

I was explaining why I as a pro life kind of gal doesn't think it is wrong to celebrate that we killed man that did us harm and would do us harm again if he could.

I suppose it is just semantics to say I am not celebrating his death but that justice has been done. But I am. I wouldn't wish anyone that wasn't prepared to meet God that appointment. But in all fairness, it was Osama's choice.

I don't get it. I really don't get why we can't celebrate this small but important victory without seeming like heartless people.

I'd have rejoiced over Hitler too had I been around. Evil is evil.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2011, 09:46 AM

Yeah, that old straw man about pro-lifers celebrating death. I haven't celebrated anything but just being served. Families that lost loved to this man can have some long deserved closure. America can stand proud that we didn't give up until that justice was served and notice given that our reach is long enough to bring you to justice one way or another if you strike us.
    Uber Member

May 5, 2011, 09:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    Evil is evil.
    Hello again, T:

My classy friend, you've hit the nail on the head. Those three words encapsulates the argument...

IF you're of a religious bent, you believe in evil, and celebrate its demise. Being a nation made up mostly of people with a religious bent, the celebration could have been anticipated...

However, being a person NOT of a religious bent, I don't believe in evil. I didn't celebrate, and was taken aback when my fellow Americans did.

excon
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2011, 09:54 AM

War Crimes Trials

What happened to War crime trials? Is it only when its convient, or when there's no recession?

Was it cheaper to just shoot him?

Don't the families deserve to see a trial, questions answered?

(below text taken from above link)

' On December 17, 1942, the leaders of the United States, Great Britain, and the Soviet Union issued the first joint declaration officially noting the mass murder of European Jews and resolving to prosecute those responsible for crimes against civilian populations'

Does this still stand?

Goverments got their sh!t together then, why not now?

Wars kill people, OBL being dead does not change anything, someone else will take his place, at least with OBL there was intelligence on him, the new guy, and there will be a new guy could be the start of a whole new era in terror.

Celebrate his death, no, not for me.
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2011, 10:00 AM

The Cadets at West Point rushed out of their dorms into the common areas to 'celebrate' . Are they less 'warriors' than you ?
    I celebrate the fine job the intel people and the Seals did. I celebrate life and don't think innocent life should be taken . However that isn't what we are talking about here. We are talking of the leader who initiated a war against this country some 15 years ago ;and murdered people by the thousands here and around the world. He was a weed in the garden that needed plucking .

Is justice and revenge mutually exclusive ? If there is a murder of a family member ;isn't the desire to see the murderer executed both a desire for justice and vengeance ?

For the last decade I attended funerals of brave first responders from my town ;and memorial services annually .
    On my own I am not capable of extracting either justice or vengeance for what I saw on 9-11. That is why we organize into society;nations etc. When I heard the news I did celebrate the long denied justice and venegence . I celebrated that with my country.
    Uber Member

May 5, 2011, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    The Cadets at West Point rushed out of their dorms into the common areas to 'celebrate' . Are they less 'warriors' than you ?
    Hello again, tom:

YES! They're warrior WANNABE'S. When they SEE their bullets tear apart a body, or SEE their buddies get blown away, they'll change their mind. Or not. I don't speak for them. I only know how I dealt with it. I'm sure the bloodthirsty are still amongst them.

excon
    Networking Expert

May 5, 2011, 10:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    The bible actually if translated properly says..Thou shall do no murder.

America is in a war with cowards who won't stand up and fight. They attack us when we least expect it and hide behind women, children if it can save their hides. I do NOT consider the killing of Osama MURDER. He led the attack on America, HE murdered. We killed him in a WAR on terror. Go USA.

Well, anyway lets please get the Bible translated properly anyway. Thou shall do no murder. Sometimes it is appropriate to kill. we are in a WAR.
    I'm not religious by no means so my apologies on misinterpreting the Bible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Human Biology- Human eyes changing color? [ 23 Answers ]

Can human eyes change color, or is it just different types of light reflecting in their eyes? I am dating someone whose eyes are sometimes very blue, but sometimes green. I also have a friend whose eyes change from brown to green.

Why do we celebrate Eid Milad-un-Nabi(P.B.you.H)if to celebrate a birthday is wrong? [ 3 Answers ]

Why do we celebrate Eid Milad-un-Nabi(P.B.U.H)if to celebrate a birthday is wrong?

Do we celebrate now or later? [ 113 Answers ]

It is said that Osama Bin laden is dead, killed by a US bomb in the Pakistani capital Osama Bin Laden dead: US has the body | News.com.au Bo has since said it was a seal eem who but coincidence shot him in the head. This news has the potential to widen the rift between the US and Pakistan on...

Movie vampire falls in love with a human and eats and drink human food to become human [ 1 Answers ]

Movie about a vampire who falls in love with a human woman and tries to become human by eating and drinking human food

Am I responsible for federal or private student loans in the event of divorce or deat [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: My fiance and I want to get married but he has federal & personal student loans amounting to over $250,000. He wants to get life insurance before we get married just in case anything ever happened to him, the loans would be paid off...however, someone was telling me that in the state of...

View more questions Search