Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    user_needs_help Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2011, 05:04 AM
    Withdraw 401k to catch up on mortgage payment?
    I'm currently about 3 months behind on my mortgage payment. I've started a new job about a year ago and am trying to make ends meet. This current job has a separate 401k plan, and I still have funds from my last job in a 401k that is less than $7,000. Would it be worth it to withdraw from my previous 401k plan to catch up on my mortgage payments? Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 4, 2011, 07:56 AM

Please be aware that if you do take the $7K withdrawal from the old 401(k) plan you will owe income tax and the early withdrawal penalty of 10%. I assume here that when you left your previous employer you were under age 55. The plan administrator will automatically withheld 20% for federal taxes - whether that amount is sufficient depends on your tax bracket. They will not withhold the 10% penalty amount nor state/local income taxes, so do NOT spend the entire amount that comes in the check - you will have to come up with cash next April for your 2011 tax bills.
    user_needs_help Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2011, 10:10 AM
    Comment on ebaines's post
    Thank you for your response! So the 10% penalty will need to be taken care of come tax time, correct?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 5, 2011, 03:56 PM

The 10% penalty is added to your regular taxes - whether the 20% that they automatically withhold is adequate to cover both regular taxes and penalty is impossible to say without a lot more information. There's also state/local taxes (if applicable), which they do NOT withhold for, so you will have to pay that piece come tax time for sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Refusal to accept mortgage payment, does it void the mortgage? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm in a bit of a pickle. I live in Ohio and have a mortgage on a home that I inherited. About two years ago I learned I would be losing my job, I contacted the mortgage bank and explained my situation in an attempt to get the mortgage adjusted to something I could afford to maintian. I was told I...

401k withdraw [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was laid off from my job almost 2 months ago now, although I'm collecting unemployment, I've got some bills that are starting to pile up. I was going to just pay the penalty and take some money out of my 401k, but I heard that if I do I won't be able to collect unemployment. First off, I'm...

Is it best to pay off a mortgage or get a tax break on the mortgage interest payment? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4.75% mortgage rate. Would it be best just to pay off the loan?

Mortgage payment.Mortgage told me one thing amount and then it was another. [ 1 Answers ]

Okay. I had a mortgage loan modification. Had an agreement with my loan company to make a paymnet of about five thousand dollars.Then I received a letter that instead of the five thousand that covered the months of October and November it was two thousand dollars and one of about two hundred and...

Withdraw 401K [ 2 Answers ]

If I quit my job, can I close my 401k and take the money and invest it myself? I have 71000 in the account and I want to start my own business, but I would like to use the 401k to pay off my house and other debts.

View more questions Search