Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ksegovia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 03:16 PM
    Tax Question
    Hi,
    I just got married in July to an illegal immigrant. He is going to file papers through me to become a resident and Im a citizen . He was brought here on a plane when he was 5 years old from Mexico. His mother never took the initive to go through the process to get him a green card or other form of becoming legal.
    So that going forward how do I file my taxes this year. Ive always filed single as he has also. He does have a Social Security number and its nooone else's number and the Social Security website even verifys that's its authentic and they did send him a card.
    So that is how he works in the United States and that's how he has always filed his taxes prior years to now.
    My question is: Do I file married but jointly or married but sepretarly. And if he has a ss number does that make him a resident on paper when it asks me if my spouse is a citizen or resident.
    IF you could just get back to me Id really appreciate it.
    THank you
    Katie
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 25, 2007, 07:35 PM
    Katie:

If the SSN is legitimate, then file jointly with him. The IRS considers him a resident alien who must file like a U.S. citizen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Question [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am an H1B holder and from May 2003 to Mar 2004 I was out of united states for full 10 months ( this means that I was out of status for 10 months). When I got back I filed my return for 2003. My question, Since I was out of status and not being a resident of US was I still be responsible...

Tax Question [ 5 Answers ]

Dear AtlantaTaxExpert, I came to the State in 2002 August on F2 Visa; I then changed to H4 Visa in Nov,2002 (because my wife switched from F1->H1 at the same time frame). Later I changed to F1 Visa in Jan. 2004 when myself became a graduate student here. I worked since April 2005 on F1 OPT,...

F1 to J1 tax question [ 10 Answers ]

Hi there.. Profusely thank the forum for the assistance. I changed my visa status from F1 to J1 in June of 2005. I was in F1 status from 2002 to 2005 June. I was employed through the year. My total income on F1 status was 18,000 and on J1 status was 17,500. I have filed 1040NR-EZ forms from...

Tax question [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've a question. I came to state on 12/8/2001 and last Oct (2005) started my OPT. And from this Jan, I am charged medicare... etc... I worked at school... my employer said I am no longer NRA... since it's more than 5 years... I am wondering if this is correct... is there any regulation...

F1 to GC tax question [ 5 Answers ]

Please advice: 1. year 2003 : Status F1 - filled - 1040 NR EZ 2. Year 2004 : Jan 01 2004 - sept 07 2004 - F1 : Sept 08 2004 - status changed to Permanent Resident. Nationality : Indian Due to too many complications in Dual status filing, I would like to opt to file as...

View more questions Search