Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Saeedi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 3, 2011, 09:17 AM
    Two years Rule Homestay for Iranian-J1 Visa
    Hi,
    I am an Iranian living in japan on college student visa. I am going to do my postdoc in the US and my postdoc is funded by an American university. If I apply for J1 visa in the US embassy in Tokyo, does two years rule home-stay apply to me. Since I am Iranian and there is no relationship between the US and Iranian governments, I am confused with this two years rule.

I very much appreciate your answers.

Saeed
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

May 3, 2011, 10:24 AM
    The 2 year rule would apply, if you want to change your immigration status, from J1 to H, L,K or green card.
    Not every J1 visa holder is subject to the 2 year rule. Have a look here:
    http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1267.html
    "Home country" means your last country of residence, so if you residence is in Japan and you apply for your visa from there, you would have to stay in Japan for 2 years in case you apply for a different visa. The rule does not affect your stay while on J1 visa.
    The international office of the university you are planning to do your Postdoc at should also be able to give you more information.

May 3, 2011, 10:44 AM
    Comment on taxesforaliens's post
    Thanks for your answer. So, you mean the two years rule applies regardless the relationship between the US and Iranian governments.
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

May 3, 2011, 11:14 AM
    The 2 year rule depends on the following:
    Two-year Home-country Physical Presence Requirement Conditions - An exchange visitor is subject to the two-year home country physical presence requirement if the following conditions exist:

* Government funded exchange program - The program in which the exchange visitor was participating was financed in whole or in part directly or indirectly by the U.S. government or the government of the exchange visitor's nationality or last residence;
    * Graduate medical education or training - The exchange visitor entered the U.S. to receive graduate medical education or training;
    * Specialized knowledge or skill: Skills List - The exchange visitor is a national or permanent resident of a country which has deemed the field of specialized knowledge or skill necessary to the development of the country, as shown on the Exchange Visitor Skills List. .

May 4, 2011, 09:41 PM
    Thanks a lot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there the exemption of tax payment for Iranian with J1 visa type? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have presently found one offer job form brown university in Rhode Island in USA. I will be post-doc researcher form two years. My sponsor will apply J1 visa. I am Iranian and I live and work as researcher in Japan. However, my passport is Iranian. Do I need to pay tax. I heard from my...

Under rule & law - what is the exact years of exp. If. [ 1 Answers ]

If a Person has worked in X company as a permanent employee for a period of A months(Working 8 hours daily) and then B number of Months on call basis i.e. whenever the company had work/task for that person was called and paid according to number of hours the person has worked. So the question...

J1 Visa and the two-year Rule [ 7 Answers ]

Greetings everyone, I visited the US twice, in 1999 and in 2000, on J1 Visas in order to participate in a Peace Education program along with other teachers from the Middle East and North Africa. After completion of the program, I came back to my country and have been living and working here...

View more questions Search