Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelsmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 01:27 PM
    How to get bonded for my new business
    I live in Clearwater, FL and have just started my own Personal Concierge Service, "Gift of Time Concierge Service", does anyone know the process for getting bonded for a business like mine?

As a personal concierge, I may be requested to be in someone's home to take care of something for them, like awaiting repairman, etc... or for making bank deposits, or using their credit card number to make purchases for them like Valentines Day gifts or other special purchases for them.

Thank you in advance for any response you may have.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 25, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Contact varoius insurance companies that do bonds and price it out.

Also look at business libility insurance which is basically all the bonding is anyway.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Feb 19, 2007, 09:18 PM
    If you are wanting to be "bonded" for perils that your clients may face as a result of them hiring you or your employees, then I see two basic risks they are taking - one is the risk you or one of your employees may damage, destroy or otherwise accidentally cause to their property resulting in financial loss to them. Second would be dishonest acts by you or your employees that result in financial loss to your clients. Please understand that liability insurance would cover the first perils mentioned, that is accidental damage to or destruction of their property caused by you or your employees but would NOT cover dishonest acts -think of it this way... if liability insurance covered your employees' dishonest acts, then you more or less would be rewarded by having the insurance company cover the loss resulting from your dishonest act and it's not going to do that ! One cannot purchase liability insurance to cover dishonest acts. YOU can purchase dishonesty insurance for YOUR loss caused by dishonest acts of your employees but this would cover YOUR property, money, not your client's property or money. Some insurance companies offer a special type of "third party dishonesty" insurance designed for businesses with your type of exposures that cover dishonest acts that cause your clients a financial loss. Most insurance companies will place a "conviction" rider or exclusion in the policy (some might call it a bond) that dictates what sufficient "proof of loss" is - and it's usually conviction in a court of law. In other words, before they pay your client's loss, your client must first prove in a court of law that your employee is quilty of the dishonest act. You definitely need to consider liability insurance for sudden, accidental type events that you may be held legally liable for. I agree that you are correct in pursuing coverage for dishonest acts that you or your employees may be accused or convicted of that result in loss to your clients, however. I know of no market that would cover your client's loss if YOU, the owner, would be found guilty of absconding with your client's property or money. I only am aware of the special "third party fidelty" coverage that I am sure is available to your business for dishonest acts of your employees that cause loss to you client.
    christinepeed Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2007, 11:36 AM
    I can't answer the question but I do have one. I live in Maryland and will soon have a complete service business ranging from cleaning to Professional Organizing. Maryland does not require a Business License for this type of business but I would like to show clients something that eases doubt when hiring my company. I thought Insurance and Bonding. Is there a difference or are they one in the same? I thought that bonding was finger prints and background checks. Can someone educate me on this one and give ideas to what to do.
    matiasmommy Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2007, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by angelsmom
    I live in Clearwater, FL and have just started my own Personal Concierge Service, "Gift of Time Concierge Service", does anyone know the process for getting bonded for a business like mine?

As a personal concierge, I may be requested to be in someone's home to take care of something for them, like awaiting repairman, etc...or for making bank deposits, or using their credit card number to make purchases for them like Valentines Day gifts or other special purchases for them.

Thank you in advance for any response you may have.
    Sorry, I am not familiar with Florida laws or procedures.

What I CAN tell you is that where I am in order to be bonded and insured you must have first the RCMP perform a national serach in their database to confirm that you have no criminal record. There are agencies that provide this service, but they always just go to the RCMP with the forms and get it done. So, you can do that yourself.

What I would suggest you do, therefore is contact someone at your local police and ask them what the process is to become bonded and insured. I'm sure they must have a hand in it somewhere- it makes sense that they are the ones with the records to provide criminal background checks. See if you can get whatever paperwork is necessary to do it yourself and save yourself some $$ by avoiding a 3rd party service.

Best wishes with your new business!

Jani Teeter
    Jasonlea Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2011, 03:57 PM
    You can usually go to any insurance company and get a bond for yourself as well as any employess you may have. Different states require different amounts just check and see.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being bonded [ 5 Answers ]

I am starting a cleaning service for peoples homes and offices. The thing is I see in every ad that they are insured and bonded. I am not even sure what being bonded is and do I have to have it or just my employees. Any help on this would be very much help as I really what to keep this on the up...

Generator Bonded Neutral [ 12 Answers ]

I'm certainly not an electrician but maybe someone who is can help me with this. I recently bought a new generator for home backup, camping, and remote powering of tools. The generator had a bonded neutral (the neutral is connected to the ground circuit). The neutral needs to be "floating" when...

Who needs to be bonded [ 4 Answers ]

Im starting a at home cleaning service and I notice in all the ads in the phone book they state their bonded and insured. How does this work? Being I have no employees at the time do I still need to be bonded or is it just for employees. It really seems confusing to me. Is there just being bonded...

Can A Felon Be Bonded [ 11 Answers ]

Can a person with a felony conviction that occurred over 45 years ago be bonded. The conviction did not have anything to do with theft.

Hiring without being bonded [ 2 Answers ]

Can a business that needs to have it's employees bonded to enter customer's home, legally hire someone who has not been bonded? I stupidly signed a contract with a business before they had all my information - insurance, registration, background check- and decided the job was not for me. They are...

View more questions Search