Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coolasdude Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2011, 03:08 PM
    .JPG files opening in Word for Windows Vista??
    I don't know what I've done to my computer, but whenever I try to open a jpg attachment it tries to open it in word and I end up getting a File Conversion window popping up and I can't seem to view the jpg.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to fix this problem so I can view jpg's in the normal fashion.

Many thanks in advance.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 1, 2011, 11:41 AM

What you probably did is change your associations in Windows. This is simple to fix. Open Windows Explorer and find ANY JPG file. Right click on the file and select Open With. Then select the program you want to use to open JPG. This is something you have to choose since I don't know what image programs you have installed. Make sure you check the Always Open with box and JPGs will open with that program.

Associations are a feature of Windows that tells Windows what program to use to open the file based on the extension (the characters after the . Usually 3). For example: .Doc files are associated with Word. . XLS files with Excel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have windows Vista, and I can't open files designated to Windows Media Center? [ 9 Answers ]

I have Windows Vista, which came with this computer, And occasionally get files from my daughter's school designated to Windows Media Center, which I can't open in anything. There seems to be nowhere to open it in Media Center, but when I click it... that's where it takes me. Very frustrating.

Opening Jpg file from email / converts to word [ 1 Answers ]

Whenever I get an email with an attached jpg file, when I try to open the picture, it opens as word document and I cannot view photo. How do I change my settings so when I open the jpg attachement it uses an appropriate photo program?

.jpg files opening in Word [ 1 Answers ]

I don't know what I've done to my computer, but whenever I try to open a jpg attachment it tries to open it in word and I end up getting a File Conversion window popping up and I can't seem to view the jpg. Can anyone offer any advice on how to fix this problem so I can view jpg's in the normal...

Problems opening Word Files [ 2 Answers ]

When I try to open certain word docs, from the server it comes up with a message saying the file is not working properly then comes up with another message saying 'runtime error'. We are able to open the docs on other computers so it must be my computer. How can I resolve this?

Opening Stuffit files in Windows [ 4 Answers ]

Is there a Windows program that will open Stuffit (.sit) files?

View more questions Search