Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wanda7348 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2011, 12:38 PM
    Is it illegal for a non custodial parent not to add dependent to ssdi claim?
    My 2 children's father was approved to received ssdi benefits. He received a lump sum and is now receiving his monthly checks. I also received a lump sum and am now receiving monthly checks for my children. I recently found out he did not add his other 3 older children to the claim. Can he get in trouble for this and have to pay the children's mother back? Will I get in trouble when I had no idea? Any information you could give me on this will be very helpful. Thank you
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 30, 2011, 01:19 PM

Why do you think he didn't file a claim on their behalf?

Perhaps the older children have no financial need?

I'm a little confused - what would he have to pay the mother back for?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 30, 2011, 06:38 PM
    If he owes the mother of his other children back child support, it will be taken out of his SSDI, and if it takes a while for everyone to find out, they will deduct it from later checks. He should face the truth now, because it will happen.

May 1, 2011, 07:10 PM
    The 3 older children are from 3 different mothers residing in puerto rico. They have been on public assistance so I'm sure he has to owe some sort of child support for them. I believe he did not file them on the claim because he was being selfish and wanted to receive a big lump sum to himself. Will I have to pay any money back when I had no idea and I also received a lump sum for my children. I think he onlyadded mine because dor was on his back since we live in the same state
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 2, 2011, 03:45 AM
    They will go after him, not you.

May 2, 2011, 07:52 PM
    He never paid child support for those 3 kids. The mothers are on public assistance. Didn't claim them to get a larger lump sum for himself.they live in puerto rico while he resides in mass.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 3, 2011, 08:20 AM

I have no idea why you are interested in all of this but if you feel he has broken the Law and you want to get involved, contact your local SS office and "report him."

They may or may not listen to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a custodial parent let anyone claim child as a dependent so she can get money? [ 4 Answers ]

I have the a similar question. My ex is unemployed she get 1200 a month in unemployement plus 250 in child support for her other child and I pay 600 a month. She can't claim our daughter she told our older son to claim her and he lives with me and I help support him as well. Shouldn't I be able to...

Can non-custodial parent claim child? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, My title pretty much explains the situation. My boyfriend's ex filed first and claimed their daughter even though he's had FULL custody for 7 years and she's lived with him for that time. MOther has NO custody rights. Well, she claimed daughter this year for the tax credit. How...

Can the non custodial parent claim the child on their taxes? [ 0 Answers ]

My ex husband and I split in August 2010, does he have the legal right to claim my son on his 2010 taxes? I have a child support order stating that Im the custodial parent.

Can a non-custodial parent claim a child [ 1 Answers ]

Can a non-custodial parent claim taxes for a child if the child does not live with him?

Child support in arrears, non-custodial parent recently awarded SSDI [ 1 Answers ]

I have a case in the Kings County Family Court of New York. The non-custodial parent of my three children has been ordered to pay child support ever since the 90's. He has not paid , and is in arrears ove $66,000.00. In court he claims he can not work or even pay the modification of $25.00 a month....

View more questions Search