Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    K16832 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2011, 06:12 PM
    Cracked bathtub drain pipe
    We just purchased a brand new costructed, fifth floor condo. The building was actually constructed in 2007 and we purchased and closed last year (2010). The building is in Florida and the builder suffered bankruptcy due to the recession. A bank in New York bought the buiding and sold about 70% of the units thus far. Because it is in Florida, most purchasers bought these units as a winter residence, as did we. Unfortunately, we just began moving things in when we noticed a strong sewer gas smell coming from the second bathroom (that has never been used). We did our research and attempted to fill the drain trap, assuming that it had dried out. This sewer gas small comes and goes on an almost daily basis. We had a plumber come out who found nothing. After we did our own research, it appears that thinset had been poured into the bathtub drain. Upon our visiual inspection we found tile spacers and an accumulation of dried thinset. We believe that prior to selling this unit, someone had to rod out the drain causing a crack or leak. We believe this because the trap refuses to stay filled. Our dilemma is that the condo association will only pay if the problem extends to multiple units. The problem is OUR bathtub trap. Is there a way of sealing this leak without having to tear out walls and/or tubs? Anyone have any advice?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 29, 2011, 06:19 PM

If you are on the fifth floor that leak will soon extend to the 4th floor. Push a bit harder with the HOA and ask to shoow you in your purchase documents where common property starts and stops, in a condo its usually at the surface of the drywall. No way to fix this without coming up from the 4th floor unless there is an inspection door on the other sidse of the wall behind the tub valves
    K16832 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2011, 06:33 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    Thanks for your quick response. I understand the condo common property beginning at the dry wall, but if the leak is directly under the tub, do you know where does the condo begin their responsibility? We have been getting the run around and this is quite frustrating. My better half keeps telling me that he is going to park the car with a big sign in front of the sales office that says, sewer gas with purchase! We have a home owners warranty that expires on May 1. We filed a claim with them just in time, but the plumber they assigned (to be coming out Monday May 2) called and said that he is only authorized to do basic work! This is crazy! What a disappointment when you take your life savings and attempt to buy a BRAND new constructed reitrement home!!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 29, 2011, 09:27 PM

If you believe you have a leaking drain or trap, run lots of water. The people below you will be complaining to management very quickly.

However, a block vent pipe can also cause a trap to be siphoned dry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen drain pipe cracked - Help! [ 6 Answers ]

I noticed yesterday there was a little pool of water in my crawl space. Today with the kitchen faucet running, I discovered why. This plastic pipe is about 3 inches diameter and is cracked pretty much along half the circumference of the pipe. What will it take to fix this? Can it be sealed? Or...

How to fix a cracked drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

How do I fix a cracked pvc drain pipe, that sets under my shower foundation. It is a 2" PVC drain pipe.

Repairing a cracked drain pipe [ 7 Answers ]

I've attached a picture of the drain pipe. The kitchen and bathroom sink and bathtub all lead into this pipe before the crack. The crack is about 4" long in a lead pipe (I believe) which is threaded into a cast iron T. The crack goes all the way to the cast iron T and I'm wondering if that would...

Cracked/Crumbled tub drain pipe, best way to repair. [ 6 Answers ]

House built in the 50's, and the original drain pipe from the 1st floor tub extends about 12" down into the garage below. This pipe has cracked/crumbled right at the elbow (has a small bend that looks like a 5" trap) before running horizontal with the garage ceiling. What is the best way to fix...

View more questions Search