Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mike28 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2011, 12:04 PM
    What will happen to a minor charged with theft in the state of Maryland?
    I bought a item from a friend but didn't know it was stolen.. my intentions were to sell the item for more money, the school police officer is charging me with theft. What will happen to me?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 29, 2011, 12:07 PM

How come the person you bought the item from didn't get charged with theft?

Apr 29, 2011, 12:16 PM
    The person I bought it from has a bad record.. I think he has been charged as well... I have NO record... never been in trouble with the law. I just want to know what could possibly happen to me

Apr 29, 2011, 04:23 PM
    What happens to a minor charged with theft in Maryland?
    I am a freshman with NO criminal record, and I bought a stolen item without knowing it was stolen... I am being charged with theft because the law in Maryland states: "any person in possesion of a stolen item is enough to proove that person of theft"... what will happen?
    Expert

Apr 29, 2011, 04:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mike28 View Post
    The person I bought it from has a bad record.. I think he has been charged aswell... I have NO record... never been in trouble with the law. I just want to know what could possibly happen to me
    Before you gave me a 'not helpful' I was asking a question to clarify my answer. If you had waited, I would have given you an answer. I don't think the charge is valid, but how can we know what will happen in court, every case is different.

Tick
    Expert

Apr 29, 2011, 04:30 PM

On second thought, mike, why would you assume to get an answer right away? Don't you think we need to know more details before we can give you an answer, if we can that is.
    Expert

Apr 29, 2011, 04:35 PM

You don't have to post twice, or three times, mike, once is enough. So, you do have additional information; you are from Maryland, which makes a big difference in the answers you get.

We are all volunteers here, mike.

Tick
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2011, 04:51 PM

First, you owe "Tickle" an apology. It is also not a very good idea to offend the very people you are asking to help you. I would suggest that you read the rules of AMHD before you continue to post incorrectly.

Continuing to post the same question until you get an answer you like makes little or no sense.

What will happen to you? Let's see. I have no idea where you are and if you were charged as an adult or a juvenile. I don't know if the school police are some sort of rent-a-Cop arrangement or real Police Officers. I don't know if you have to appear in a regular Court or some sort of City Court.

No one else knows, either.

I'll guess you could get a fine, probation, kicked out of school or just about anything in between.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 29, 2011, 08:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mike28 View Post
    I am a freshman with NO criminal record, and I bought a stolen item without knowing it was stolen... I am being charged with theft because the law in Maryland states: "any person in possesion of a stolen item is enough to proove that person of theft"... what will happen?
    I would be willing to bet that is an inaccurate quote. Ungramatical, yes; accurate, no.

But Maryland's Criminal Law Code does provide that:

§ 7-110. Defenses and presumptions.
    (c) Allowed defenses.- It is a defense to the crime of theft that:
    (1) the defendant acted under a good faith claim of right to the property involved

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under 5000 but not charged, what will happen [ 7 Answers ]

I was in a store recently and took a sample makeup. They valued the product at the original full size price 10.00. I regret this choice so much.. My questions are 1. I was not charged, police were called but because I have no other incidences, they said I get a warning. Will this show up on a...

Is contributing to a minor a violation of probation in Maryland [ 1 Answers ]

On probation and rec'd a citation for contributing to the delinquency of a minor (19 year old friend had trace amount of alcohol in system). Is this considered a violation of probation?

I charged theft under 5000$ section 334b ccc this happen yestarday 29 dec2009 I to [ 13 Answers ]

On 29 December 2009 I charged theft under 5000$ section 334 b ccc . I caught with two tea packet a worth of $12 by accident from one chinese food store and I don't have any kind of criminal record in my past its my first offense and now I have an appearance in court on end of January 2010 so...

16 year old charged with 3rd degree theft, theft by deception, and forgery what will [ 2 Answers ]

I was charged with 3rd degree theft, theft by deception, and forgery for finding a debit card and buying 3 items in Bridgewater Commons Mall New Jersey that I believe came up to $300 I used credit and had to sigh the receipt I didn't use my name but the name on the card. I was brought to the police...

View more questions Search