Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michaelmishoe Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2011, 12:13 PM
    Closed down School Info.
    I attended a vocational school called Albert Merrill School 30years ago. I need proof of the time and dates I attended but the school has been closed for some time. I am being held responsible for a student loan that I was never there to have used. I attended there in June 1981. Dropped out 3 months later. Records show I took out a additional loan amount in Feb. 1982. Student loan has been in default for almost 27 years. You won't believe the interest accrued and fees. My (1500) + Unknown (1000) = 2500 x 27yrs. = $10,694. Unbelieveable!!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 28, 2011, 12:26 PM

Who is trying to collect on this debt? This is likely a collection agency who bought a bad dept for pennies on the dollar, treat it like any collection agency, demand proof of the debt. What state are you located, the statute of limitations has likely look since run out so don't offer a penny or acknowledge the debt. Come back here when you have new info.

Apr 28, 2011, 07:19 PM
    I am from New York City. I was contacted by the Education Management Corporation. Then threatened with a income tax lien. Then I consolidated the loans under the Direct Loan program and entered into a loan repayment program called the Income Contingent Repayment Program under the William B. Ford Program. I have been making minimum payments since Oct. 2010. Do I have any recourse at this point or am I screwed.

Apr 28, 2011, 07:21 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    I am from New York City. I was contacted by the Education Management Corporation. Then threatened with a income tax lien. Then I consolidated the loans under the Direct Loan program and entered into a loan repayment program called the Income Contingent Repayment Program under the William B. Ford Program. I have been making minimum payments since Oct. 2010. Do I have any recourse at this point or am I screwed.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 28, 2011, 08:21 PM

You already consolidated the loans ? Including this one ?

But basically you are screwed unless they will be willing to take and make a settlement.

You would have been in a better position if you had not made any payment at all. If this was a private loan, not a government loan, it is likely it could not have even been collected. But since you paid on it, and consolidated, you now have a new loan, that you already made.

Apr 29, 2011, 09:03 AM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Thanks. I am trying to locate where the school records may have been stored. I can prove my attendance was not there during the time of the second loan they said I took out for $1,000 then maybe I can renegotiate the loan amount. Albert Merrill School . Yeah that old computer training school that used to be in Manhattan, NY around Columbus Circle. I attended there in June, 1981.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get my transcripts from a school that has closed? [ 1 Answers ]

Elsa Cooper Institute has closed. It was located in Southfield, MI. I would like to get my transcripts.

Get info from a closed adoption [ 7 Answers ]

I am trying to help my niece. My sister gave her up for adoption and found her when she was 17. My sister died shortly after and my niece never got any information she wanted about her birth. It was a closed adoption and the lawyer will not tell her anything. She just wishes to know the basics,...

Need transcript from closed school [ 1 Answers ]

Attended/Graduated from Universal Diesel & Construction Mechanic Schools, Inc. (Miami, FL) in 1977. Used veteran's benefits for this training. School now closed and I need a transcript. Can anybody help me?

Transcipts closed school [ 1 Answers ]

Need my high school transcript from bay ridge high school how do I request it?

View more questions Search