Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vickii_H Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2007, 07:21 AM
    Future mother in-law
    Hey guys

Just after some help, advice, comments... etc, thanks.

My future mother in-law has said some really nasty things about me to my boyfriend, and she deliberately tried to split us up. My boyfriend didn't listen to her and told her she was wrong, but she still tried to talk him into splitting up with me.
    My boyfriend still talks to her and they both just pretend that nothings happened. However, I can't forgive her for what she did. She's never apologized or even taken back what she said about me.

I have cut her out of my life as I don't want anything to do with her again, and I'm OK about my bfriend speaking to her. However the thing that really annoys me is when she sends Xmas cards to us. She knows how I feel about her and that I don't want anything to do with her because of what she said, but she still won't apologize. Occasionally when my bfriend tackles her about it and tells her that she must apologize she just says that she

'had her reasons for trying to split us up' or 'that I'll just have to live with what she said'.

I find this very hard to deal with as she's sending two different signals. I fell like she's trying to keep on the 'good side' of my bfriend (sending cards) as she thinks we are going to split up, and she wants to say to him 'i told you so' when it eventually happens (which it's not! ).

So basically I don't believe she is being genuine, I just fell as though she's putting on an act.
    I also feel that she's gotten away with what she did.

Am I being too harsh, or am I doing the right thing by not trusting her and not having a relationship with her?
    :confused: :confused: :confused:
    kay13 Posts: 103, Reputation: 22

Jan 25, 2007, 08:17 AM
    Hi Vickii, from personal experience I don't feel you are making too much of it. My ex mother-in-law did a very similar thing to me. Hubby didn't stick up for me and it was all swept under the carpet. Trouble is, these things come back to bite you in the bum! This should have sent out warning signals that what I felt was unimportant. Years later I realised that he was never going to be on my side and we are no longer together.

You have a few choices here - sit down with your future mother-in-law to find out why she wanted to split you up and clear the air, or talk to your boyfriend about how you feel. If you don't like what your boyfriend tells you, beware - this may be the pattern of your life to come!
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2007, 05:36 PM
    Kay makes some good points.

If your boyfriend won't stick up for you now, then why the heck are you still with him?

You think his mother is bad now, trust me, it will get worse. And if your bf/future husband won't stand up for you, why are you involved with him?

Another option is to sit down and talk with the mother in law, but honestly, your boyfriend has shown where his true colours lie.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 25, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Let me first say that I agree with every answer you have so far. Let me go one further though and tell you what my mother told me prior to my first marriage. "When you marry him, you marry his family." Understand that she was his mother before you were his girlfriend. She has blood ties to him, you are only a girlfriend. We can pick boyfriends and girlfriends, but we cannot pick our parents. Our parents are ours for life.

Now, please let me go on.

Quote Originally Posted by Vickii_H
    My boyfriend still talks to her and they both just pretend that nothings happened.
    That is because she is his mother and will be for life. There is nothing you can do to change that. No matter how wrong you may feel it is, he is trying to make both you and his mother happy.

However, I can't forgive her for what she did. She's never apologized or even taken back what she said about me.
    You may have to be the bigger person here and forgive her. You start the new relationship with her. She may never apologize, so don't expect her to. However, if you do try to make amends with her, and you should if you care for your boyfriend, she may just learn to respect you.

I have cut her out of my life as I don't want anything to do with her again,
    Then you might as well cut him out of your life too. If you marry him, she will always be in your life in one aspect or another. She will be your mother-in-law, grandmother to your children.

I'm OK about my bfriend speaking to her.
    You better be, it is his MOTHER. How would you feel if he did not want you to have anything to do with your mother?

However the thing that really annoys me is when she sends Xmas cards to us.
    Again, she is his mother. If you don't like the cards, don't read them, but she will always be in your life in one aspect or another.

I don't want anything to do with her because of what she said
    I am pretty sure you already know what I am going to say here. If you don't want anything to do with her, break up with him. She will always be a part of your life in one aspect or another.

but she still won't apologize. Occasionally when my bfriend tackles her about it and tells her that she must apologize she just says that she

'had her reasons for trying to split us up' or 'that I'll just have to live with what she said'.
    Time to just drop the subject, grow up and be the bigger person here. Make her realize that whatever she said was wrong. But by acting in this manner you are fueling her fire. You are giving her ammunition for the next "attack."

I fell like she's trying to keep on the 'good side' of my bfriend (sending cards)
    She may be, but he is still her son.

See Vickii, we don't know what she said, so we can only make assumptions.

I had a mother-in-law that was similar. We called her the Monster-in-law or the Wicked Bich of the South. But one day I had to stand up to her, without my ex around, only me, her and her husband. Once I did she respected me.

I feel for your situation as I had gone through a similar one over 20 years ago. And, like my mother said, when you marry your man, you marry his family.

I don't think you are making too much of this, but there are ways to overcome it.
    freebird1981 Posts: 30, Reputation: 5

Jan 26, 2007, 08:36 AM
    Hey there,no I don't think you are being harsh.it was the other way around forus, my mum hates my partner with a vengeance because he is irish,its as simple as that. The first time she met him she called him a terrorist,my grandad made all kind of bomb jokes and I felt terrible.they are racist and I wanted nothing to do with it.basically mum tried everything and her power to split us up ranging from calling him at work so much his boss told her to stop,and she threated to smash his parents windows etc... we are still together and realise what a close minded person she is.sit her down and talk to her,ask her why, and if she won't tell you, tell her to grow up or leave you alone,which is what I did.by the way... he has never even been mentioned in a christmas card,its like he doesn't exist

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My Mother-in-law treats my kids different [ 9 Answers ]

My mother-in-law treats my children different than she treats her bio grandchildren. I have been married to my husband for 9 years and together for 10 years and last christmas one of my sister in laws came up to me at a christmas party and asked " what was your daughters name again?"I thought that...

Husband and mother-in-law [ 6 Answers ]

My husband is overly attatched to his mother. He has to call her everyday if he doesn't she gets mad at him. He has to do what she wants him to because if he doesn't she will stop talking to him. We have two children together and he has an older daughter from a different relationship. This has...

Mother In Law taking advantage of us [ 8 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I love each other very much and we have a wonderful little boy called Alex who is now three (I am 34 and she is 25). Her mum looked after Alex for well over a year as both of us worked. We paid her £300pcm for that as she had bus fares to pay for from her house to ours, which she...

My mother in law is driving me c [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone , I love my mother-in-law very much but... She is trying to change My wedding plans.Our ceremony was going to be in a chapel but now we our going to have it in the same location as the reception just because she said that we could save money now my dreamd of having...

Ex mother in law.. What is she doing? [ 4 Answers ]

Hey.. You might remember me from my last post.. It was about my ex sending all kinds of sings he misses me(Posting our picture as his Myspace default, as his msn messenger display, sending me romantic songs that say "i miss you", asking me for pictures of the 2 of us.. etc) and me being confused...

View more questions Search