Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    myliann Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2011, 12:13 PM
    Shower curb help
    I already put the metal lathe on the shower curb when I did the pre-slope for the pan... well that is cured now. So since it is attached to the lathe under the pre-slope should I just put the liner over it and add more lathe to the curb or should I clip the lathe off before I put the liner on? I didn't realize you do the curb pretty much last!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 27, 2011, 04:45 PM

Hmmm...

I guess I would suggest that you rip this out and start over again for the best job in the long run, OR you could screed the wire lathe to a cement finish, install tar paper over all the cement and then install the liner after that. After you pour the new floor you can install new wire lathe into the floor and then fold over and staple for the curb... cementing later to finish.

Further, you need tar paper over any exposed cement between the vinyl membrane and the preslope floor and the curb... cuts down abrasive nature of the cement against the new vinyl membrane, right?

You definitely DO NOT want to cut the lathe... will eventually puncture the liner and/or even the tar paper and then the liner will leak and you don't want that!

Glad to discuss more if you like...

Mark
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 27, 2011, 06:29 PM

Mark gave great advice. I have some additional advice which may be too late. Of all the DIY projects one can do building your own mud shower pan from scratch should be last on the list. This is a difficult project without prior experience. There are many other solutions much easier which require less skill. I have done pans for 20 years and never do a mud pan from scratch. Take a look at what you could do Schluter-KERDI-SHOWER-KIT - Schluter-Systems
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 27, 2011, 07:07 PM

Absolutely agree, Bob! Myliann can go to

YouTube - schluter-kerdi shower system

For videos of the schluter-kerdi system... ;)

Here's a video to get you started... part 1

Thanks...

Mark
    myliann Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2011, 04:16 PM

Thank you for all the help I did tear up the first layer and I am starting over... much appreciated

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower curb not level [ 10 Answers ]

I recently remodel my bathroom. I found that the edge of the shower pan is not level, the largest angle is about 0.5 degree. I plan to put a sliding shower door on top of it. A contractor told me that this might result a seam between the edge and shower door track and need more sealant. I wonder if...

Repair concrete shower curb [ 0 Answers ]

We are retiling a bathroom with a concrete pan that is about 32 years old. Some of the concrete along the curb has crumbled or is broken up. Is there a way to repair these spots? We have not had any pan leaks so we think the floor is okay but we haven't removed the floor tile yet.

Shower pan curb [ 1 Answers ]

Does a showerpan curb need to be poured sand mix or can you just frame with 3or4 2x4s and wrap with membrane and durrarock? I am going to put a bench in the stall. Does the membrane have to go up the bench face then on the seat and up the stall 6 to 8 inches?

Custom shower stall curb [ 1 Answers ]

how do you form the curb for a mud set shower stall? Is it just 2x4s stacked and wrapped with membrane and durarock, or do you have to pour the curb with the first layer of mud and then wrap it and pour a second layer higher?

Shower door and curb [ 1 Answers ]

I have a shower, with a swing out alumax shower door, the sweep feel apart. The bottom of the shower door enclosure has been leaking. The top of the curb Is a clay or cement material which is wet. The wall board below the is wet and the tlie has Fallen off. What do I replace the clay...

View more questions Search