Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dlw1158 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2011, 03:19 PM
    Served summons by lawyer in behalf of collection agenct
    I was recently served a Summons from a lawyer representing a collection agency--Palisades collections LLC. Nowhere in the document does it state who the original creditor is. It actually says that I had a credit account with Palisades collection, LLC, for which I never had. It also states the following:

Plaintiff established a credit account for Defendant's use
    Defendant is in default under the terms and conditions of the agreement.

Since the Plaintiff is not the original creditor and the fact that I never did establish a credit account nor had an agreement with Palisades Collections, is there a legal way to dispute this?

I also called the local court to see where to respond and found that it has not actually been filed. Does that mean that they intend to just hope that I do not respond and then ask for the judgment without going to court? In the Summons it states that I can demand that the Plaintiff file this lawsuit with the Court. Is this something that I should do? It also says that I may serve a Notice of Appearance. Is that advisable?

I only have a couple more days to respond so any speedy replies would be much appreciated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 26, 2011, 03:26 PM

If they haven't filed it's a ruse to get you acknowledge the debt.

Send them a letter stating that you have no knowledge of this debt and require verification of the debt before anything further happens.

If they decide to file they will have to send you a real summons. What you received is not a real summons if the suit has not been filed with the court yet. You will then have an opportunity to respond and get a court hearing.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 26, 2011, 03:46 PM

Who actually served you, handed you the papers?

Apr 26, 2011, 04:29 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    It was a gal that was hired to serve me.

Apr 26, 2011, 04:32 PM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    That is what I thought. So I should not worry about "demanding that the Plaintiff file this lawsuit with the Court" as it says I have the right to do in the so-called Summons?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 26, 2011, 05:13 PM

I rarely disagree with Scott but am leaning toward totally ignoring this law firm and collection agency. They likely bought a very old debt which may have run out on the SOL. They can't sue you for a judgement in court if its SOL but they can trick the crap out of you and see if you will do something that qualifies as acknowledgement. I just would not talk to them at all, they can be tricky, legally.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 26, 2011, 05:14 PM

Why would you want them to file? What you want is to call their bluff and demand proof of the debt. If they file, they file.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 26, 2011, 07:29 PM

I go with Scott on this one, deny any knowledge of the debt and ask for proof.

Apr 27, 2011, 11:09 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Thank you all for your help... that is what I have done... I will follow up and let you know what happens

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Summons served for credit card collection, Eltman Eltman & Cooper [ 17 Answers ]

I'm being sued by Eltman Eltman & Cooper (Erin Capitol Management) and just my summons yesterday. The amount I'm being sued for is $11'000+ and the SOL is not up for this one until five months from now. I've read online that many of these debt collectors are betting that the defendants will...

Summons served for credit card collection [ 14 Answers ]

My husand was just served a summons last night (4-4-07)for a credit card collection. The company is suing for $5551. But instead of small claims they are suing him in a civil case. This collection was charged off in 2005. So the SOL is not up in our state( california).he received a letter 2-1-07...

I have been served a summons from a debt collection company. What frorms do I need to [ 0 Answers ]

I have been served a summons from a debt collection company.What forms do I need to file in California?

Being served a summons [ 1 Answers ]

Can I be served a summons when I am in another country?

View more questions Search