Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rizzos1090 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2011, 08:12 AM
    Acceptable reasons for last name change to my son?
    Hello I have a 13 months son and he have ''his father'' last name, but he is in another country, when my son was born we agree to naming with both last names, but when my son was 4 months his father broke me and I don know where it is and I don't mind. So I want to change my son's last name with my both last name and add second name, which reasons are acceptable for name change? Oh I am single mom.
    Sorry for my bad English.. Thanks!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2011, 08:26 AM

Where are you? If you want to change your son's name you need the father's written permission. If you can't find him you can get a Court Order to serve him by posting a specific notice in a specific newspaper for a specific period. You can do an "informal" name change (use another name for school IF the school will allow it) but the father can object and force you to use the original name.

The process varies somewhat by State/Country.
    Rizzos1090 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2011, 09:30 AM
    I live in California , and in my son's birth certificate only I the mother appear. Thanks.
    Uber Member

May 4, 2011, 09:36 AM

The procedure depends on the exact circumstances. Here's a very good starting place: California Courts: Self-Help Center: More Topics: How to Change Your Name or Your Gender: Changing the Name of a Child: How Can I Change my Child's Name?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 4, 2011, 09:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizzos1090 View Post
    ... when my son was born we agree to naming with both last names, ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizzos1090 View Post
    ... and in my son's birth certificate only I the mother appear ...
    This is sort of odd: You and the father agreed that the father's last name would be on the child's BC, but the BC doesn't name the father? Why would you do that?

Anyway, from the link that JudyKayTee gave, it seems clear that you cannot change the birth certificate. In order to change the child's name, you would have to petition the court for a name change.
    Uber Member

May 4, 2011, 10:07 AM

I have answered your question about taking your child into Canada on your other thread - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/parent...ml#post2791541. I am unsure about the documentation you have about your child's birth and parents.

Also, have you checked on the documentation which an adult has to show at the Border? You no longer show a driver's license and cross.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/parent...ml#post2791541

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Name change for son [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to change my sons last name, he was given his bio fathers last name 14 yrs ago but his bio father is NOT on the birth certificate nor has he ever been involved since he was born. Clerk of courts said I still have to track down his bio father and send him a summons/request for...

What are acceptable reasons to change a child's last name in ny? [ 3 Answers ]

I livve iin New York and want to change my sons last name to mine. He's almost four months old annd has his mothers last name. We've established paternity and working on custody now. I want to change his name but she refuses and the court told me I can't change it without a lawyer but can't afford...

Change my son last name [ 15 Answers ]

I have a three year old son and his sprem donor hasn't help at ALL( Only two cans of formula). When I found I was pregnant we split up and he said he would be there for the baby. So In the mist of the split up I met my fiancé. I was about 8 week at the time. When I had the baby the sprem donor sign...

Son wants to change last name [ 3 Answers ]

MY 17 year old son wants to change his last name to my maiden name. How does he go about it? He will take the my maiden name to go on. He is the last of relative of my father who is gone now and I'm the only one that had the last name until I married. My children now have my husbands last name. My...

View more questions Search