Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ahampton55 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2011, 10:50 PM
    Is there anyway a 16 year old can get/rent their own apartment?
    Would they need a cosigner? Who could be their cosigner?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 26, 2011, 12:10 AM

No, a 16 year old cannot rent their own apartment until they are 18. One has to reach the age of majority to sign a legal contract.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 26, 2011, 03:34 AM

ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

But in all the US states, the age of majority is 18. Under 18, unless legally emancipated, you cannot enter into a legal contract. A rental lease is a contract. Even if an adult were to rent the apartment for you, leaving you to live there alone could be considered child abandonment.
    SpoliedGirl16 Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

May 10, 2011, 12:28 PM
    Yes you can my 16 year old friend had a baby at 16 and she moved out into her own apartment and it was beautiful I think you have to be a teen mom in order to get your own place under 18 or if you have a 18 year old sibling who can sigh the contract for you,you both can live together leaglly
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 10, 2011, 02:05 PM

You may not know all the details about your friends situation. Unless emancipated, as Scott points out, you can not enter into a contract until the age of 18.
    SpoiledGirl16e Posts: 2, Reputation: -1

May 18, 2011, 04:42 PM
    Like I said if you become a teen mom you can get your own place at 16 mabe that law is enforced were you are but here all you have to do is get pregnant and have someone 18 or older with good credit
    SpoiledGirl16e Posts: 2, Reputation: -1

May 18, 2011, 04:44 PM
    :mad:
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    You may not know all the details about your friends situation. Unless emancipated, as Scott points out, you can not enter into a contract until the age of 18.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 18, 2011, 07:10 PM

Correct, at 17 in Georgia you can move out, but a 17 year old still can not sign a lease. I know this since my son at 17 moved out. Lived in his car for a while, then in a old trailer with some other guys. ( not a "nice" apartment)
    There may be of course flop houses that don't ask ages and more that rent for cash to anyone, but I doubt I would want to live there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Someone used my name to rent apartment! [ 2 Answers ]

My ex-husband, who I've been divorced from for 9 years, has used my name in another city to rent an apartment. I do know he has terrible credit and defaulted on his last rental lease, and I believe that's why he used my name. What can I do?

Why is my apartment rent raised this year and much higher than the past? [ 3 Answers ]

Why is my apartment rent raised this year and much higher than the past? Does it have to do with government household fee or something? Answers much appreciated!

View more questions Search