Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aafzal86 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2011, 03:08 PM
    How Gourevitch and Power view both collective and individual culpability for the geno
    How Gourevitch and Power view both collective and individual culpability for the genocide in Rwanda.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2011, 03:09 PM

What have you written so far? We don't do homework, but will help if you show us you have been working on it.

Apr 25, 2011, 03:40 PM
    I have been trying to think about it but don't know where to start from.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2011, 03:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aafzal86 View Post
    I have been trying to think about it but dont know where to start from.
    Tell me more about the assignment -- how long is it to be, when it is due, and have you done any work on it at all yet.

Apr 25, 2011, 03:57 PM

Conversation with Philip Gourevitch Conversation with Philip Gourevitch, cover page Note: Parts four through the conclusion are focused on Rwanda.
    The Atlantic, September 2001, "Bystanders to Genocide" The Atlantic | September 2001 | Bystanders to Genocide | Power
    Atlantic Unbound, Interviews, "Never Again, Again" Atlantic Unbound | Interviews | 2002.03.14

After you read these articles, be ready to debate how Gourevitch and Power view both collective and individual culpability for the genocide in Rwanda

Apr 25, 2011, 03:59 PM

It doesn't specify any length for the answer and its due on Wednesday. Unfortunately I haven't been able to do it because I have my CPA exam exam on Thursday and so don't have any time to do this. I would really appreciate if you can help me here.

Thanks
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2011, 04:01 PM
    It doesnt specify any length for the answer and its due on Wednesday. Unfortunately I havent been able to do it because I have my CPA exam exam on Thursday and so dont have any time to do this. I would really appreciate if you can help me here.

Thanks
    You are asking me to write it for you because you have no time?

How long ago did you get the assignment?

Apr 25, 2011, 04:03 PM

I saw it today.

Well I was looking for some help and that's all. I am not asking you to do it for me.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 25, 2011, 04:07 PM

You saw it today for the first time? Why do you have to write an answer? For a class?

Did you read the links? Do you know who those two men are and what they found out about Rwanda? Do you know what "collective and individual culpability" means?

Apr 28, 2011, 04:13 PM

Hi,
    BothGourevitch and Powers are Journalists who ve researched and written extensively on the Rwandan genocide.

By what I understand about 'collective and individual culpability' is that how collectively the US, UN and the international communty was responsible for the outcome of Rwanda and for not preventing it while Individually Rwanda was also to be blamed as no effort was done interanlly to stop the Hutu's from killing the Tutsi's.

In this regard, Gourevitch blamed the UN solely as despite getting information from General Dallaire about the killings to the manager of the Hotel Rwanda manager, Kofi Annan and the higher authorities at the UN did nothing to stop the genocide as the reasons behind was that it was an internal matter and a civil war and UN can't take action until it is recognized as a genocide. He also blamed international community for not acting promptly like the US and France who actually helped the fleeing Hutu's.

On the other hand Powers actually blamed President Clinton for not intervening and preventing it from escalating into a bigger problem. She accused Clinton in 'bystander of genocide' by saying that despite having military and intelligence resources US did not take the responsibility just because it did not have any national interest in it.

This is so far what I have and if you can please correct if I am on the right track and can give me more points on how to expand it.

I appreciate the help.

Thank You
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 28, 2011, 04:43 PM

Wasn't it due yesterday?

Both [first name] Gourevitch and [first name] Powers are journalists who have researched and written extensively on Rwandan genocide.

'Collective and individual culpability' is that together the US, UN and the international community were responsible for the outcome in Rwanda and for not preventing it in the first place. Individually, Rwanda is also to be blamed, since no internal effort was made to stop the Hutus from killing the Tutsis.

Gourevitch blamed the UN solely, despite its communicating information about the killings from General Dallaire to the manager of the Hotel Rwanda, Kofi Annan. The higher authorities at the UN did nothing to stop the genocide, agreeing that it was an internal matter and a civil war; the UN cannot take action until it is recognized as genocide. He [who?? ] also blamed the international community for not acting promptly, unlike the US and France who actually helped the fleeing Hutus.

On the other hand, Powers actually blamed President Clinton for not intervening and preventing its escalating into a bigger problem. She accused Clinton of being a 'bystander of genocide' by saying that, despite having military and intelligence resources, the US did not take the responsibility simply because there was no national interest in it.

I made some corrections and added brackets for you to include names.

Keep going. You're doing fine. Be sure to keep your information on collective responsibility and individual responsibility separate, and also be sure to mention those terms when you refer to either type.

Apr 28, 2011, 04:47 PM

It was but as I told you I had my CPA exam today so got an extension till tonight.

Can you tell me more points about them.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 28, 2011, 04:55 PM

Who was collectively responsible?

Who was individually responsible?

"more than one million Hutus fled the country" -- what was their responsibility?

"It remains disconcertingly true that many people, including many ordinary Rwandans, joined willingly in the slaughter."

"After decades of cycling violence between Hutu and Tutsi groups in Rwanda and Burundi, violence peaked in 1994 with a genocide of Tutsis in Rwanda, during which the Hutu majority slaughtered 800,000 Tutsi and moderate Hutus."

Why was there genocide in the first place?

Apr 28, 2011, 05:26 PM

Well there was a civil war going on between the Hutu's and the Tutsi's. Tutsi's wanted to get rid of the Hutu led govt and thus attacked the Hutu's. In the meanwhile, the President who was a Hutu was assassinated which enraged the Hutu's and they started the mass killing.

Well what I understand is that 1 million Hutu's fled the country in order not take the responsibility of the killings. I am not sure why exactly they fled or the reason but this is the most closest I can think of.

Is it true that the Hutu militia were provided with advanced guns by the French but despite that they did not shoot rather used machetas, spear and clubs to kill them in order to spread the blame.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 28, 2011, 05:41 PM
    Well there was a civil war going on between the Hutu's and the Tutsi's.
    Why was there a civil war? Please provide background information.

Apr 28, 2011, 05:53 PM

It was because there was an ethnic rivalry between the Hutu and the Tutsi's. The Tutsi refugees wanted relief from the Hutu's who were in the government. The Rwandan Patriotic Front (RPF) rebelled against the government of President Habyarimana.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 28, 2011, 06:02 PM

Tell me more about the ethnic rivalry. Lead off with that in your paper.

Apr 28, 2011, 06:09 PM

Thank you for the suggestion but how I start mentioning about the individual and collective culpability into it?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 28, 2011, 06:25 PM
    Thank you for the suggestion but how I start mentioning about the individual and collective culpability into it?
    Did you make an outline for this paper? -- something like this --

I. History of ethnic rivalry
    A. Who are the Hutus?
    B. Who are the Tutsis?
    C. Who are the Twa pygmies?
    D. Rivalries since the 11th century

II. Rwandan genocide of 1994

III. Dissection of the genocide
    A. Collective culpability
    B. Individual culpability

Apr 28, 2011, 06:32 PM

Ok I will use that as the guideline. I really appreciate all the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collective plural [ 2 Answers ]

What's the collective plural of ninja? -Like a gaggle of gease... Thanks :D

Illegal "collective punishment" [ 8 Answers ]

Critics say the fuel reductions to Gaza amount to that, but is it really true? Gaza's main power plant began shutting down on Sunday due to a fuel shortage caused by Israel's closure of the Hamas-controlled territory's borders, a move taken in response to Palestinian rocket attacks. ...

Individual Bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible if I could file for bankruptcy just for myself without affecting my wife's record?

Why states form collective security? [ 2 Answers ]

Consider NATO an Alliance and describe me why states form collective security?

View more questions Search