Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xsini Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2011, 01:27 PM
    Can you rent an abandoned condo - to pay association obligations?
    My condo association consists of 9 units. One of the units has been abandoned over a year - the owner has not replied to any communication, has not paid association fees, and not sure if he has paid the mortgage/taxes - eviction notices have shown up.

His lack of payments has created a deficit on the condo association. What can we do? Could we rent the unit - place rent in an escrow account, and use those proceeds to pay the association fees, taxes ,etc?

If someone does agree to rent it, could they get arrested? Would they have any rights? Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 25, 2011, 01:33 PM

Eviction notices tend to make me think this person is a tenant and not the owner. You must determine who is the owner and then the association can seek to place a lien on the property. Depending on your Associations articles on file with the state the HOA may be able to auction the property for back dues but this is only done through the courts. What is your standing or position in this situation, are you on the Board of Directors?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 25, 2011, 01:39 PM
    You are the ones who would get charged with a crime; a tenant would be evicted or possibly be told he is trespassing and be tossed out on the spot.
    You take him to court for past due fees (after reading your bylaws to see what other rights you might have). When he fails to show, you win by default. Then stand in line with all his creditors trying to collect.
    What 'eviction' notices? How do you know? I hope you aren't opening his mail.
    Mortgage companies foreclose on properties and would arrive with notices on the door and real estate agents to start showing the place for sale.
    This is the tough reality of civil matters. You can't just take over.
    xsini Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2011, 03:05 PM
    Thank you for the help. Apologies, did not mean to say eviction, but collection notices -- they left a note on his door. And yes, I am on the board. And we've gone the proper channels, get a lien, and as you put it, we are standing in line, but the owner is out of the country and no one has heard from him in 2 years, and people can't find him. Very frustrating. In the meantime, the association is running into deficit. Rest of owners are very upset, as you can imagine.

Thank you for the feedback, you confirmed there is not much we can do at this point.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 25, 2011, 03:13 PM

Is there a mortgage on the condo? Is the lender in the process of foreclosure?

But, no you cannot rent something you don't own.

This is one of the drawbacks of being in a small condo. If one unit stops paying maintenance the other owners need to take up the slack
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 25, 2011, 04:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by xsini View Post
    ... thank you for the feedback, you confirmed there is not much we can do at this point.
    Has the HOA considered foreclosing on its lien? Then sell the property to pay what is owed. And it may be that the lien is senior to any mortgage, in which event the bank would have to pay the dues to avoid losing its security.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreclosure Condo Association [ 4 Answers ]

I recently bought another property at foreclosure auction. The property was first foreclosed on by the Condo association for a fees lien. I believe they then rented the property as they are entitled to do. The first lien holder then sold the property at auction of which I was the successful...

Is my Condo Association Discriminating Against Me? [ 4 Answers ]

I have been renting this condo from my parents who refuse to defend me or get involved. Is it legal to only have one person on the board? She is the President and has been writing me up for the four years that I have lived here. My girlfriend was her former boss and said she has mental problems...

Condo association [ 1 Answers ]

Our assessment fees are already high,owners have a hard time paying,so we need help. One of the owners has a lien on their property, because of unpaid assement fees. This owners owes us almost 5.000 Where can I ask for help for our condominium association ? We need money to pay our bills and ...

My Landlord is foreclosing his condo. Do I still have to pay rent? [ 1 Answers ]

My landlord just notified us that he had stopped making mortgage payments on his house a couple of months ago and that he is giving it to the bank. He said we are safe to stay for two more months and after that bank might kick us out. As I understood he no longer takes any responsibility for the...

Condo Association vs my roommate [ 4 Answers ]

I live in an adult condo association in Florida and the other day I received a certified letter stating that I cannot have a roommate unless this person is dispossessed. This roommate is also above the age 55 requirement and I cannot conceive how by law that the condo association can tell me who...

View more questions Search