Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    theoboomer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2007, 09:19 PM
    Rights to Co-Signer
    I have a question about the rights of a co-signer. I am looking to get about a $100,000 first time home buyers loan. My father wants to be a co-signer on the loan. I know that if I can't pay the mortgage off, he will be the one to take on the bill. However, what other rights would he have to the mortgage, can he view the balance or have any other control over it. I have a decent job and 133 acres of land under my name, so I should'nt have a problem being approved. Would it be in my best interest for it to be just under my name or to have a co-signer as well. Also, who encounters the debt if for whatever reason I cannot (with no co-signer). THANKS:)
    Simplyqueen Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2007, 10:22 PM
    Hi,
    I am a Loan Officer and if you do not need a co signor there is no reason to have one unless your father has interest in the property with you. If you do have a co signor he would be responsible for the payment if you for any reason could not make that payment. If you do not have a co signor and you do not make your payments at some point the bank will foreclose on your property and you will lose your equity, home and the good credit that you established.

To answer your other question on what type of access you father would have to your account; he would have access to information from customer service at any time if he wanted to check that the payments were being made, etc. But the mortgage coupon (bill) would be mailed to you only. You can chose how to take title with a co signor; he doesn't have joint tenancy unless you agree on it. Talk to a local lender to get more information before making an important decision in your home loan experience.

If you have any other questions; please fell free to email me at [email protected].
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 25, 2007, 08:19 AM
    Why does your father want to co-sign? I can understand being WILLING to co-sign to help you get a mortgage, but I don't understand wanting to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

Primary signer vs secondary card holder [ 7 Answers ]

I opened a credit card, me being the primary signer, and I basically allowed them to put my girlfirneds NAME onto another credit card, which would be the secondary card holder.. not CO-SIGNER on the credit account.. She made zero chares, and I maxed out the credit card and was unable to pay...

Co-signer on Car Loan and Account Garnished [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I have just had our joint account garnished/levey yesterday and all the bank would give us was a phone number that was only in operation from 8-5pm. They would not tell us any details only that the account had been garnished. Today we have found out that is for collection of a...

Secondary Card Holder vs. Co-Signer [ 4 Answers ]

I am a secondary card holder (NOT a co-signer) on my mother's credit card. The card has now been sent to debt collectors (she claims it is all my debt and I say that it is shared, but no one is paying on it). What type of impact does the bad debt have on my credit report? Can she take her name...

When a co-signer/guarator files Chpt 7 [ 1 Answers ]

I co-signed for my daughter on a GMAC car loan. If I file Chapter 7, assume this doesn't affect her since her name is on the car and she continues to make payments as agreed. Also, is she notified of the filing? She's in another state.

View more questions Search