Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    _Mistletoe_ Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2011, 12:56 PM
    Do I have an attention deficit disorder?
    Ever since I was young, I couldn't focus very well.
    Lately, it's become even worse. I get in trouble in my classes and I zone out frequently. I want to listen but I just can't. Its very irritating.

I don't know what to do, should I go get tested for it?

Apr 24, 2011, 01:39 PM

What are the signs of it?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2011, 01:44 PM

If these problems are causing grief in your life, yes, please get tested. Your teachers and parents haven't talked about this? Is there a school counselor or psychologist who can test you?

Apr 24, 2011, 07:04 PM

I took an a.d.d. test online, but it just said
    I may have it.
    I've talked to my parents and they don't think I do, but some major tests are coming up for me and I have to be able to think. I looked at the types and I have short temper, zone out, hate yelling, am always moving, unorganized, etc. But I don't know..
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2011, 08:02 PM

Diagnosing ADD isn't a simple task. For some reason this condition has become popular fare and every kid that wiggles in their chair or is caught daydreaming is arbitrarily labeled and rushed off to the family doctor who summarily prescribes an exotic pill or three.

Transient inattentiveness, or "zoning out", mild irritation, and disorganization are far more likely to be related to your age, than an underlying disorder.

Below is a website dealing specifically with the disorder that does a better job than most in differentiating between normal childhood/adolescent behavior and ADHD. Please read carefully the section on "Don't All Children Show These Signs Occasionally?"

This should provide you with the necessary facts to more realistically decide if you need professional assistance.

Go Here: ADD/ADHD

After reviewing the information, if you are still concerned, as Wondergirl notes above obtaining a professionally administered evaluation, might be helpful if for no other reason than alleviating your concern. If so follow the information in the second paragraph of the site. Choose carefully.

Please keep us posted.

Apr 25, 2011, 03:25 PM

My mom believes that I have something, she doesn't know what. It adds up but we aren't sure, and we need to be quite positive in order for my dad to be convinced to take me.

Wow that website thing was really long I have to admit I didn't really understand a lot of it but I got some points.

I don't think it is just my age, but it could be a big trigger for something.

The National Informational for Children and Youth with Disabilities says-

Inattention

Symptoms of inattention, as listed in the DSM-IV, are:*

* often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities;

* often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities;

* often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly;

* often does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions);

* often has difficulty organizing tasks and activities;

* often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental effort (such as schoolwork or homework);

* often loses things necessary for tasks or activities (e.g. toys, school assignments,pencils, books, or tools);

* is often easily distracted by extraneous stimuli;

* is often forgetful in daily activities

(I am all of these except, I my mother always makes me finishes chores and stuff so I wouldn't know)

Hyperactivity

Symptoms of hyperactivity, as listed in the DSM-IV, are:

* often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat;
    * often leaves seat in classroom or in other situations in which remaining seated is expected;
    * often runs about or climbs excessively in situations in which it is inappropriate (in adolescents or adults, may be limited to subjective feelings of restlessness);
    * often has difficulty playing or engaging in leisure activities quietly;
    * is often "on the go" or often act as if "driven by a motor;"
    * often talks excessively.
    (I don't talk that much, although I am considered a dare devil, but usually I don't think about things, I just go for it. I get in trouble for saying things before I think, but I think everyone has a problem for that. This April Fools I climbed up an oak tree to where it started getting bending, and put my little sisters coat at the top. I wasn't thinking, but anyway I was at the top before I could even think if it was OK or not. I got it down for her, I don't mean to be mean and hateful but I get so dang aggravated because I get in trouble all the time in school because I get off topic or I am not "focusing in" I hate it and I go home crying sometimes.)

Impulsivity

Symptoms of impulsivity, as listed in the DSM-IV (p. 84), are:

* often blurts out answers before questions have been completed;
    * often has difficulty awaiting turn;
    * often interrupts or intrudes on others (e.g. butts into conversations or games).
    (I have trouble waiting my turn, I am very very impatient but I don't usually interrupt people)

So I am still very confused since I have most of these problems on 2 of the 3 things. I didn't really understand a bunch, when things get into words that are huge I just tend to skip over them :)

Please keep helping me

May 17, 2011, 12:25 PM

I still don't understand
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2011, 01:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by _Mistletoe_ View Post
    I still don't understand
    What type of information would assist you?
    randomgirl22 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2011, 08:13 PM
    I have ADD I have been seeing a theripist since I was in fourth grade. Every single report card I had from kindergarten to seventh grade I had some sort of comment on how I couldn't or wouldn't focus. In sixth grade I went to my theripist and I did a test of some sort. It was really hard for me. You definitely should get tested. Now that I am on my medication daily my concentration has greatly improved. Just to let you know though, my medications make me loose my appetite and have a much harder time sleeping. Good Luck. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Attention deficit disorder Meds [ 6 Answers ]

Ok I take folcalin (updated version of Concerta) and when ever I take it I have really high Anxiety after it for about an hour why is that

Adult deficit disorder. [ 4 Answers ]

Is there a herb that will help or something besides taking prescription drugs that will help with add?I cannot get anything done.

Attention Deficit Disorder in children [ 1 Answers ]

Have you used Synaptol in the treatment of ADD or ADHD.:rolleyes:

View more questions Search