Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcvestor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2011, 11:49 AM
    Do investments normally lose immediately or am I reading this wrong?
    p. 1; second figure:
    investment 1 lost $61.20 for the month
    investments 2-6 = $ 44177.40 at months end with a $822.60 loss.

Q1: How is it that I invest $45,000 and lose almost a $1000?
    Q2: Why would all the new buys lose?
    This also seems to mean none of the investments earned any income for this month. Q3: Is that possible or common?

Thank You In Advance-
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf sample_statement.pdf (120.7 KB, 206 views)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 24, 2011, 12:53 PM

What are you investing them in, if you had to pay large commissions out of them in some.

Also what are you investing them in, stocks, bonds, or what.

I am doing good this year but over the last three years many investments have lost about 10 to 30 percent of their investments.

So yes in some markets losing a lot fast is comon.
    mcvestor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2011, 04:51 PM
    I am sorry. I thought I had added an attachment to explain my questions.

well, I attached it like before, though I do not see it after I close the upload window.

thank you for the answer, but unless you can see the attachment, I doubt I can make my question clear for you.

these were CDs. Example: CD bought 10,000 @ 1.00 = $10,0000 / end of month = $9963.00

why would it lose $37.00? I had bought 5 CDs, each lost some amount by the end of the same month. One of them loses every month.
    Attached Images
  3. File Type: pdf sample_statement.pdf (120.7 KB, 176 views)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 27, 2011, 07:23 AM

I too have found that so far the month of April has not been kind to bond investments. Interest rates have risen a bit in April, and rising interest rates always hurt the market value of fixed income investments. Usually when investing in CDs or individual bonds your objective is to hold these to maturity, at which point you get the face value back. If that's what you're doing, then don't worry too much about month-to-month market fluctuations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does reading random thing in internet, is the equivalent to reading books? [ 2 Answers ]

They say that reading books is good. I'm not very smart perhaps because I don't read many books. I've almost never read a whole book from start to end. And I'm in my 30's. But I do read a lot of stuff in the web. But mostly short things. Not like long full books. But isn't it the same thing? Or...

Themostat sticking on hold and reading wrong temperature [ 2 Answers ]

My thermostat is programmed to come on at 79 degrees. It is register at 69 degrees in the house. However there is no way that temperature is correct. When we hit run it will run for a few minutes then when we look at it again it changes back to 85 degrees and the hold but is on even though we...

Digital Thermostat Reading Wrong Temperature [ 1 Answers ]

I recently installed a Hunter 44110 digital thermostat that replaced a Honeywell that experienced the same problem. The problem is that the thermometer is reading too high of a temperature (it'll read 84F when in fact it's 72F) when the AC is on. If I switch it off and let it rest, the reading will...

Keyboard reading wrong symbols [ 1 Answers ]

Using shift and @ actually gets me the " symbol @ is found by shifting and 2, also have no pound sign, can someone help it drives me nuts!!

Confusing signs - Am I reading it wrong? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi guys, First post for me. A few months ago I found myself very strongly attracted to a girl I know. You know the usual drill, couldn't stop thinking about here, all that stuff. I kept my feelings to myself at first but I found she seemed to be developing an increased interest in me as...

View more questions Search