Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jessecwb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2007, 09:02 PM
    Potentiometer that handles 2 amps up to 12VDC
    Hi, I am trying to make a 2amp 12VDC power supply adjustable. I was told to use a potentiometer. I need to know if this will work, and if so what size potentiometer to use. Any help will be appreciated.
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Mar 25, 2008, 09:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jessecwb
    Hi, I am trying to make a 2amp 12VDC power supply adjustable. I was told to use a potentiometer. I need to know if this will work, and if so what size potentiometer to use. Any help will be appreciated.
    No it won't. Not the way you intend.
    To get an adjustable power supply you require a REGULATOR CIRCUIT. That circuit can be controlled by a "normal" carbon based potentiometer.
    The circuitry makes the output voltage stable, even under a variable current load.
    The alternative is a high power (expensive!) wirewound potentiometer, which you connect to the 12 volt. The middle contact goes with the neutral / 0 contact to the ouput.
    However : this potentiometer requires a lot of power (heat), and results in an unstable ouput voltage with varying loads.
    Better build or buy a stabiliser circuit. Much less loss, less heat, and fully stable (adjustable) output voltage.
    The circuitry can even be extended with current limitation that kicks in when maximum current limit is exceeded.
    :)
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2008, 06:55 AM
    Regulator is the way it should or could be done.
    A Headlight Dimmer switch may work to 2 amps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Potentiometer switch question [ 9 Answers ]

Could any one help me wire a potentiometer switch to a 20 volt flash light. I want it to work as a dimmer. When I turn it on it will get brighter as I turn the switch. Does anyone have any ideas on what size switch I would need and wiring help. I had a light once before that worked this same way...

I want subs/amps? I need help! =] [ 2 Answers ]

OK so heres the deal. I have a 2000 toyota corolla. but one problem... im electronically retarted. sooo if i want more bass... do i put in some subs or amps?? :confused: problly is a bad question but im not sure. like what do i need for this?! HELPPP ME!

How do I get 100 AMPs to my Garage [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to wire a 100 amp service to my garage. I have a 200amp main entrance box in my house and would like to get power to a panel box in my garage. The panel box I have to put in the garage has a 100 amp main disconect with 12 cicuit spaces. Questions: Can I simply put a 100 amp...

HELP!car amps and speakers [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought an old motorhome and am planning on installing 4 Pioneer 330 watt 6x9s and am unsure what kind of amp I need. I have a very cheap deck, but figure that won't matter if I get the right amp that can power all four speakers. Please if you have any help for melet me know. Thanks,...

View more questions Search