Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    _Mistletoe_ Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2011, 12:32 PM
    What to do when a cat has their first litter?
    Earlier this summer, we got a new kitten. Her name is Sheba and she is adorable! Well time passed and now she is about a year and a half. She is an outside cat and lately she has gotten very rounded, but at the back mostly of her stomach. Her nipples seem pinker then usual and bigger. I would usually not even question if she was pregnant or not, but she is so young and small, and I have not seen any male cats around.

I don't know what to do if she is, but we are keeping them if she has them. How do I know how far along she is? How do I tell when she should even have them? What do I do if I find out? We can't take her to the vet we just don't have the time. I need to know as soon as possible please!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 23, 2011, 01:37 PM

Please don't post in green, very hard to read.

Every cat is different, same as anything else. If you have doubts about if she is or not, it is a waiting game, but you said she is an outside cat and you haven't seen any other cats around. Unfortunately, male cats come from far and wide as soon as they smell the scent of a female in heat.

It is big of you to say you are are keeping the kittens, but what if she has all female kittens. I would hate to think you would be over run with kittens forever because they actually do breed like rabbits until they are spayed.

Even spayed she can still be an outside cat, mine is, but she will not populate the neighbourhood with kittens.

If you want to be a responsible owner, then you really must have your pet spayed or neutered and reduce the pet population. You have no idea how many have to be put down because no homes can be found for them.

From your description, yes, she is pregnant, gone through her first heat and every male cat has found her.

Take her to the vet, find time, and think of having her spayed while you are there.

Tick

Apr 24, 2011, 11:58 AM

Sorry.
    We just moved about 2 weeks ago, I didn't think that they could come that fast!
    All of our other cats are "fixed" but because of the move, it was crazy and we forgot about it. My father says as soon as she has her kittens, she is going to get fixed, and all of the kittens as well. We have 1 inside cat and another outside cat and both are fixed.
    So what do I do with the kittens? Any advice how to get ready for them?

Apr 24, 2011, 11:58 AM

If you can't see the above post just select it:):rolleyes:
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2011, 12:07 PM

She may have her kittens outdoors in a place you will never find. Is there a way to bring her inside until after the kittens have been born?

A cat pregnancy lasts for about two months.

Apr 24, 2011, 12:10 PM

I asked my mother if she could stay inside, but with one cat already in there, it would be way over the top. Mom says no way.
    The problem is, she hunts mice all the time in the barn, and there is a little hole under the barn. Im afraid she will have them in there because she likes it there. I don't want her to do this because I want to check on her and the kittens when she has them. (obviously not too much:))

Apr 24, 2011, 12:11 PM

And I know it last about two months, but I have no idea when she could have gotten pregnant.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2011, 12:15 PM

Cats have their kittens in quiet, hidden places, so that sounds like exactly where she will go. If you don't bring her indoors, you will have no control over the situation. Maybe try to set up a special comfortable corner for her now, so she might then use that as her birthing area when the time comes.

If you close off the hole to that dark place, she will outwit you and find another one.

Apr 24, 2011, 12:21 PM

Sheba loves the barn, I know she will have her kittens there. I can try to cover up the hole but still, she could find another way in on the other side.
    Do I need to change her diet?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2011, 12:26 PM

What is she eating now?

Hheath is our Cats expert. She will probably see this thread later today and give you better info than I can. She had rescued a stray who happened to be pregnant, so hheath has been there and done that. Photos are on another thread.

Apr 24, 2011, 12:29 PM

Diamond premium adult cat food.

Can you PM her and ask if she can answer this thread? I need to know soon.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 24, 2011, 12:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by _Mistletoe_ View Post
    I asked my mother if she could stay inside, but with one cat already in there, it would be way over the top. Mom says no way.
    The problem is, she hunts mice all the time in the barn, and there is a little hole under the barn. Im afraid she will have them in there because she likes it there. I don't want her to do this because i want to check on her and the kittens when she has them. (obviously not too much:))
    You don't have to worry about her haing the kittens. She will know what to do and how to handle everything. When they are weaned she will bring them out of hiding and you will be able to see them all.

The queen will not like anyone interfering if she is a bit feril.

Tick
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2011, 12:35 PM

That food sounds okay. She's eating it (plus mice)?

I PMed hheath. I'm not sure what she's up to today, Easter Sunday.

Apr 24, 2011, 12:42 PM

I know, but I want to see them.

Plus, I'm kind of paranoid.

We had this cat, she randomly followed me home one day, and we found out she was pregnant. She had her kittens and about 2 months later she died. Her fur was tangled and matted, but it hadn't been the day before. I don't know what happened to her to this day.

That's why I am scared. Sheba is so small and delicate, I'm afraid something will go wrong.

Yeah, but it looks nasty to me. Shouldn't she eat something that has vitamins or something so that she can have energy and produce milk and all?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2011, 12:46 PM

Unless you make her a house cat, you won't see the kittens until she allows you to.

She doesn't need to make milk yet. Once the kittens have been born, switch her to canned kitten food.

Doesn't the can's label give a list of nutrients?

Dry Food
    Active Cat

Diamond Naturals Active Cat Formula is formulated to meet the specific nutritional needs of active adult cats. Also appropriate for kittens and pregnant or nursing adults, this high protein, high fat formula is high power nutrition in every situation.

Protein: 40% Fat: 20%
    Calories: 4,000 kcal/kg (400 kcal/cup) Calculated ME
    Sizes Available: 6 lb. and 18 lb.

Apr 24, 2011, 12:48 PM

Dang. That stinks.

How far along do you think she may be?

Kk, and I don't know because I am not where the food is right now.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2011, 12:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by _Mistletoe_ View Post
    How far along do you think she may be?
    I have absolutely no idea, nor will anyone else.

Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

Apr 24, 2011, 01:11 PM

Hmm.
    Guess time will tell.

I am a teen. Why
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2011, 01:15 PM

I was just curious about your age. It sounds like you live on farm, so I was wondering about other animals and vet care and so on.

Apr 24, 2011, 01:37 PM

Sure. Anyway, I help out at the vet sometimes, I'm not a baby.

But when it comes to kittens, I'm clueless.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Took in a stray abused cat from outdoors; but cat get it to go in the litter box! [ 9 Answers ]

Please help! My roommate and I have recently took in a stray beaten up cat. When she took her to the vet she ended up dropping loads of money on this cat to help her. She has a giant wound, and has a respitory infection, she was very mal nutritioned- she's skin and bones.. the whole nine yards....

Cat litter? [ 9 Answers ]

My friend is pregnant and has four cats, she heard recently, cat poo/litter emits a toxic chemical leading to birth defects.. has any one heard of this? And could give me more info?

Cat litter [ 1 Answers ]

What type cat litter tracks the least? I have Arm & Hammer clumping litter. If my cat gets wet and then goes into litter box (he loves getting in the shower):cool: , litter sticks to his hair and he tracks it all over the house. Any suggestions?

Cat Litter [ 1 Answers ]

How do I stop my cat from rolling around in the litter? Why does a cat do this?

Cat Litter Problems [ 1 Answers ]

Our cat is almost 14 years old and has always been an inside/outside cat. We recently moved to a house where he cannot be outside due to the community covenants. He does not even seem to want to go outside so we thought he was okay with the change. However, in the last month, about three...

View more questions Search